Chapter 107

Jaden

"What's your favorite color?" Noah asked.

They sat together atop the hill, staring at the town's lights that dotted the black landscape roughly two miles away. Legs stretched out before them, hands leaned back for support.

The cool night wind had tapered to a quiet caress, which meant they could hear the distant pounding of drums. Otherwise everything lay silent around them. Jaden's heart had calmed as well, though occasionally it would race again as he remembered what he'd done earlier.

He still couldn't believe he'd tried to kiss him. Tried, because honestly Jaden wasn't sure that counted as a kiss. If I'm going to kiss him, I should at least do it properly next time.

Which made his heartbeat go rogue and echo in his ears, along with chittering nerves that raced up and down his skin.

He sipped his water, then set down his cup on dew-covered grass and weeds. Then Jaden turned to the left, looking up at Noah. The handsome lines of his profile barely discernable in moonlight.

"Green, like your eyes."

Noah caught the teasing tone and laughed, shaking his head disapprovingly. Jaden smiled, turning back to gaze at Chamchi's lights, thinking that there were few things in this world he fancied more than the sound of Noah's laughter.

"Seriously," Noah said. "Give me something."

Jaden frowned slightly as he thought about it, the wind ruffling at his hair.

"Hmm . . . Maybe orange. Sunset-orange. That a suitable answer?"

Noah said nothing, and the seconds passed and stretched between them. In the sky a wispy cloud made its way in front of the moon, obscuring it and plunging them in thicker gloom. Until Jaden couldn't see him at all anymore, except perhaps a vague shape.

But then, just as Jaden was about to ask Noah what his favorite color was anyway – might as well, at this point – a soft glow appeared around them. Jaden knew what this was, he could feel Noah's energy interlaced with the catalyst's, and to him, right now, it was the most familiar, comforting thing Noah could've done.

It seemed to rise from the narrow stretch of ground between them, after which the light spread out in a perfect sphere that encompassed both of them, evolving from silver-white and coalescing into a rather specific shade.

Sunset orange, with some rich gold and some hints of coral pink, swirling gently between and around them. Like feathers made of light particles, swaying in a soft breeze and never reaching the ground. Noah's energy tickled his skin like gentle waves on a beach, lapping one's bare toes, never too cold nor too hot. It made him feel like they sat alone in a vast world, safe together, connected forever.

Jaden raised his hand in the air, which felt warmer than before. He looked at Noah, his skin the loveliest golden color in this particular light, his hair a dark golden-brown. Holding his breath, Jaden splayed his fingers, and twirled them down over his face before his fingers met again into a loose fist beneath his chin – he hoped he'd done the sign right. Beautiful.

"My light, or me?"

"Your light," he clarified, mock-serious. "You're" – Jaden made a show of looking him up and down – "okay, I suppose."

"Are you sure?" Noah was leaned back in a way that his shirt had moved up his stomach, flaunting well-defined abs and the arch of hip bone that begged to be touched.

Jaden altogether forgot what they'd been talking about. "I'm not sure of anything."

He reached over and climbed on top of Noah, legs on either side of him. Shaking slightly in breathless silence, Jaden guided him down across flattened grass and followed him there, leaning over him. Noah's smile faded into a nervous expression, yet he parted his lips in welcome. Jaden too was ready, was right there as they reached one another. Kissing him so softly it ached – it ached to hold back, but he did because at first he only wanted to experiment and pay attention to Noah's reactions.