Chapter 111

Noah

Running was not an option.

Clutching Bolt's reins, Noah gazed down at the white-clad soldiers that blocked the road beyond the hills. Part of him had expected it, but the sight still slammed into him. Like some natural disaster you'd been warned about – a tornado or a tsunami incoming – except seeing it with your own eyes was not the same as just being told. They were all dark mages. They all had demons.

They were still a good mile and a half away, but the animal shapes were unmistakable. And it was something Noah could feel, more than see – a vibrating force in the morning air, a power born out of unity and number, something stronger, much more destructive than the fierce wind, something that lashed at him and swayed him in less obvious ways.

Fenek reined in beside him, and Dharkan and Jaden came up short soon after, reining in their mounts as well.

Noah startled when Dharkan broke the windy silence, even though he only muttered, "Well, fuck me."

Before he realized what he was doing, Noah clutched his chest through his shirt. Something going on with the catalyst, a strangely familiar presence it seemed to detect, sending uneasy tingles across his skin. But he couldn't put a name to it.

Silver's hooves edged closer to Bolt, guided by Jaden so the two riders could talk.

"What do you feel?"

Noah shook his head. "It's nothing." He let go of his shirt. The strange sensation faded away, like a ghost passing through.

He looked at Jaden, pale and beautiful like the dawn, his eyes like stormy clouds. He smelled like wood smoke and clean grass, which carried Noah back to last night. He was halfway convinced it had been a dream, because it had felt so right and yet so frightening, overwhelming and all-consuming. He'd lost himself to the moment, all worries and concerns obliterated, and he'd kissed him like there was no tomorrow.

Except there was a tomorrow, and it happened to feature dark mages and demons throwing them a welcome party from hell.

Earlier, Fenek had found them sprawled together in the wild grass, still sleeping. Noah had woken up first, to Fen's knowing smile and the breakfast he'd brought to share. Bread and walnut spread, a gift from Fenek's new lady friend. They'd given some to Jaden when he'd woken up, and some color had progressively returned to his face. As for Fen, he'd worn a telltale grin as he frequently glanced back toward the sleeping village.

That smile was gone now. Fen was clutching at Chestnut's reins with the tense air of someone wanting to bolt. Noah couldn't blame him; he felt about the same way. In fact, Jaden was the only one who looked unnervingly calm. Noah was about to ask him how he could be so chill, when Dharkan spoke up.

"They have riders," he said, scanning the clouded landscape before them with narrowed eyes.

Noah had noticed them too. Some of the dark mages were grouped together and formed a little cavalry. This was why he'd ruled out running. Those riders would catch up in no time. Not to mention, Noah had also glimpsed many flying demons circling the sky above the soldiers – hawks, eagles, vultures, ravens, and the like. Those would zero in on them too.

But fighting wasn't really an option either, was it? They had two archers, one swordsman, and one mage with a couple of throwing knives and a chakram. Their odds were so sad it was laughable. Under Noah, Bolt stomped the ground impatiently.

"So, Noah," Dharkan said uncertainly, "that stunt you pulled in Azuria to save the girls . . ."

Noah shook his head, stealing a glance at his friend as the wind whipped at his hair. "They were just normal soldiers. It was raining, I had the element of surprise, there was confusion . . . No." He shook his head again, returning his gaze to the Chyulin soldiers. "These are dark mages. All of them. I don't know if . . ."

"I'll go speak with them," Jaden announced calmly. He even flashed Noah a small smile. "I'll try diplomacy."

"You're awfully confident all of a sudden," Dharkan grumbled, then cleared his throat as if remembering who he was speaking to. "Anyway, I s'ppose it's worth a shot. I'm coming too, of course. Never been one to stay behind. Noah?" He shot him a glance over Jaden.

"Worth a shot," he agreed. "Let's go find out what the hell they want exactly."

Jaden's smile faded away, his eyes growing darker as he stared at the Chyulin mages. Noah wondered what he could see that they couldn't, with his better vision.

"It's quite obvious what they want," Jaden said.

Unease crawled up Noah's chest. "Yeah, but why do they want it? What's their endgame?"

"I don't know." Jaden shook his head slightly, then he gathered his hair, including the two little braids, to tie it neatly at the back. His new piercing glinted in the pale morning light.

"Are we doing this or what?" Dharkan said, making Noah realize he'd been staring.

Really does feel like it was only a dream.

Noah shook it off and turned to Fen so he could bring him up to speed, though it took him a few moments to remember the sign for diplomacy.

When he was done, Jaden said, "All right. Gallop downhill, then wait for my signal to stop. We'll leave the horses behind and walk over to meet them on foot."

And I'll ask Fen to stay back with the horses.

He knew his friend would probably refuse and come with them anyway, but he had to try. Seyar would never forgive him if Fenek died here today.

And Noah would never forgive himself either.