Chapter 47

Day 9

Kili

She packed light – slim dagger at her belt, Nimisian brass coins in a small pouch, waterskin, spare clothes, stash of taless vials somewhere at the bottom of her saddle bag.

Kili wasn't usually one for jewelry, but today she wore a delicate golden chain with a tear-shaped, polished amber pendant. Noah had bought this necklace for her nearly one year ago, in the city of Shai Saranas. They'd just set foot on the Nimisian continent after a long sea voyage. She could still remember, so vividly, how excited he'd been. How happy.

She shivered in the dry, cool morning air. The rising sun formed a rusty orange halo, shimmering up into the moonless sky.

Time for her to go.

Clad in soft leather shoes, beige cotton pants, copper-brown long-sleeved tunic, and a yellow scarf she would later use to protect her head and face from the sun's burn, Kili reached up with her leg – thankfully flexible – and placed her foot in the stirrup. The dromedary she'd bought yesterday, named Affi, was rather short for such animals. Even so, it seemed nearly impossible for Kili to leap all the way up and—

"You know you can just ask her to lie down for you?" She recognized Seyar Zaoka's voice as he approached behind her, across the empty happon field where she'd been preparing Affi for the day's ride.

The Captain of the Wraiths wasn't in uniform yet, instead he wore simple nightly garb of pale cotton pants and matching long robe. Kili wordlessly moved away from Affi, watching as Seyar came close and ran a soothing hand up the animal's long neck.

"How did you manage the blankets and girths?" Seyar asked.

"She was sitting for me earlier," Kili said, "and so I installed those. But I think she got impatient. Maybe I was too slow."

While Seyar continued his inspection, the wind blew across Kili's hair, flapping her scarf's frayed tips, and making her shiver. She knew to enjoy the freshness, though. All too soon, the traceries of the night's cold would be a thing from the past, forgotten and replaced by scorching heat.

For now, wind chimes still tinkled pleasantly from the South Side dwellings, echoing in the quiet city. She would miss their whimsical music, which she found almost mystical at times. Especially when she was high on taless, but that was a whole other thing.

The truth was, Kili would miss many things about Hart Delun. About Nimis. Seyar Zaoka was a part of that. They weren't particularly close, but even so, Kili appreciated what the man had done for Noah. Seyar had welcomed him as one of his own.

Kili suspected it had something to do with the fact that Seyar used to be Eonak. Outsiders felt a kinship toward other outsiders.

Presently, Seyar paused his ministrations and turned to face her. His warm brown eyes crinkled with concern.

"Will you at least tell me where you're going?" he asked. "And for how long?"

Kili briefly closed her eyes. Put on a small smile when she opened them again.

She deflected his question, "How did you know I was here?"

Seyar pointed to the south-eastern gates, a good ten yards to their left when facing the city's stone wall. The man patrolling there sent Kili a furtive, sheepish glance before he looked the other way.

"One of the Spears on guard came to get me. He doesn't like that you're leaving on your own." Seyar scratched the one-inch long beard at his jawline. Looked down into her eyes. "I have to say, I find myself agreeing with him."