Chapter 109

Matt

During most of their sessions, Matt only pretended to do Tessa's techniques. Well, no, that wasn't entirely right. He really did try following her instructions. But it was hard for him to focus on his breath, a mantra, a specific emotion, or even physical pain for more than a minute or so. At some point, his thoughts would inevitably roam free.

What really didn't help was that he experienced these recurring disturbing visions, behind closed eyes, of himself rotting away inside a coffin underground. With worms eating him and wriggling out of his skin and eyes. It took him a while, for some reason, to finally admit to himself that he was terrified of still being dead.

The meditation made him acknowledge that, if nothing else. Part of his mind clearly bought into the horrifying scenario that he was still a rotting corpse, except his consciousness existed and was trapped in some in-between state. A sort of final test before accessing the Sky Realm. Being stuck in a crypt with his worst nemesis. It did have a certain flair to it.

Rendered uneasy by these upsetting visions, Matt trained his mind to go somewhere else. He fantasized about what he would do once he returned home to Veicira. He'd find his little sister and hug her for ages. He'd meet his niece and hold her in his arms. He'd treat himself to a good old pint of Felleran ale. He'd drink it with Jaden, and they'd talk for hours. He'd make love to him all night, and all day, until they passed out, exhausted but happy, in each other's arms.

But that was before they sat down with Leery.

Leery's presence changed everything. Matt's prior thoughts blinked out of existence as his mind veered sharply off course.

Matt realized three things in quick succession.

First, he was wearing his black-and-gold military uniform. Second, he was in Veicira's throne room at the front of the central aisle. Third, Jaden stood facing him.

Jaden wore his uniform too, under a finely made long coat of dark blue and silver fabrics – Fellera's colors. Jaden held up a sword ceremoniously with two raised palms. A long, straight blade of typical Felleran design, with a simple black hilt. Matt could tell it was well-balanced from the way it rested atop Jaden's palms, and the pale steel bore no dents, nicks or stains. This was a new sword, made by a skilled blacksmith, with no artifice or useless decoration, just like Matt preferred.

Sensing the telltale hush of a quiet crowd and the weight of many pairs of eyes on his back, Matt threw quick looks to either side and realized the throne room was indeed teeming with people.

"From today onward, Mattias Dawnson, you are to serve as High Captain of the Felleran Army," Jaden announced, his voice low and calm but carrying across the room regardless. Jaden stepped forward. "Please accept this sword, to forever protect Fellera and her people."

Holding his breath, Matt accepted the sword, holding it reverently with both gloved hands like Jaden had. Behind him, he felt the crowd rising in unison, and then came the cheering and applauding. Jaden grinned and clasped Matt's shoulder.

Matt smiled back. But something didn't feel right.

Fractals of remembrance hung in his thoughts like dust motes in sunlight. He frowned, grasping at the memories, no matter how unpleasant they turned out to be.

The crypt. Juna. Leery.

Escape. He needed to help Tessa get her demon back.

"This isn't real," Matt whispered.

Jaden inclined his head, confusion in his eyes. But he wasn't real. And the crowd's cheers suddenly rang hollow. When Matt turned to look, the room was empty.