Chapter 48

Imxi

As was often her way, the empress had insisted on entertaining her esteemed guest, Master Nolos, project leader for the city's new aqueducts, in an intimate corner of her palace's gardens.

The hour was yet early, with a soft breeze and cloudy sky. Birds sang in great clusters in the trees that loomed over their table, as if thriving in the humidity.

Clad in a low-collared, short-sleeved dress, cherry red with a black corset, and a fine silver headpiece twining round her hair, Imxi sipped her chrysanthemum tea as she listened to Master Nolos' report on the project's advancement.

A charcoal sketch of Chyulin was spread out on the table between them, and the project leader tapped different streets with his index and middle fingers to explain what was complete, and what was yet to be done.

Nolos was her friend, had been her mother's friend before her. A good man, in his late fifties, with both a solid, reasonable head on his shoulders, but also the ability to dream and strive toward his ideals. Imxi liked this duality. She especially enjoyed it when, after the more pragmatic and practical meetings, he stayed a bit longer to share with her some philosophical or even spiritual conversations.

Today, however, the empress was distracted. She couldn't give Master Nolos her full attention. Idly, she petted Singhi's soft black fur with the hand that wasn't holding her tea cup. The panther, seated at Imxi's feet, gave off a purr, as soft as the breeze-rustled leaves above.

Her thoughts drifted. For some reason, she couldn't stop thinking about the Demon Queen.

Perhaps because the queen hadn't appeared to her in a long time. How many days had it been, now? Imxi couldn't remember. Perhaps a week. Could've been more.

She would never forget the day Juna had come to her with news of this fascinating apparition. It had been the very heart of summer, a day filled with unbearable heat. Yet still, Imxi had felt a chilly prickle shivering down her spine.

'Well, what did she look like?' Imxi had asked him, intrigued, but somewhat suspicious still.

'Petite, but radiant. Long hair like the darkest leaves in the night, skin like the moonlight, eyes like onyx stones. Lips like a raven's feathers, a face delicate and regal.'

Imxi had never before seen Juna quite like this. Enraptured by this vision he'd had, of a self-proclaimed Demon Queen. Imxi had been skeptical, of course, but she'd listened.

'Her dress was all silver satin and sequins, seemed to come from another world. It trailed behind her on the floor and she seemed to glide. She had a cloak blacker than night, with a slim black cord securing it from shoulder to slender shoulder. And then, what was most surprising to me, a tarantula calmly perched atop one such shoulder. Slender and long-legged, the creature had soft-looking fur the color of charcoal. The Demon Queen petted it with affection in her eyes. She saw my questioning glance and told me that these spiders are actually quite kind companions. Her voice was musical, her eyes held amusement and a thousand secrets . . .'

Whilst knowing it wasn't his habit to do so, Imxi remembered thinking that perhaps Master Juna had partaken in some experiment of the hallucinogenic sort.

The empress had inquired, 'When can I meet her?'

Master Juna had smiled. 'Soon. The queen wants to meet you, too.'

'Is that right?'

But then, a few days later, Imxi had indeed seen for herself.

Well, I'll be damned, she remembered thinking.