Part Sixty-Eight - Preparations

Carthus fought through the same process again as Jeden worked on the second arrow, this one in his chest. The arrowhead pulled slightly and almost broke inside, but the young healer was able to remove it with Enleif holding the commander down. He groaned but held it all in, still biting down on the handle of the dagger.

"Almost there," Jeden said, his voice trailing a bit with exhaustion. Healing magic was said to be one of the hardest forms and was very taxing on the one performing it. The herbs were crushed over the wound and it was then covered in the ointment as Carthus winced. Jeden paused a moment, taking a deep breath, before hovering his hands over the injury. With a brief bright light, the gash was sealed.

"There you go Carthus" Enleif gently released his hold as the Maad commander stopped thrashing. His pain was fading quickly and he closed his eyes, lying back on the table.

The bustle of the common room had died down. Most of the warriors had gone to prepare for what was coming under strict orders from Oro and Ythara. Everyone still inside was waiting in silence, eyes fixed on Carthus and Jeden, unsure if their commander would live.

Jeden pulled up a stool beside Carthus' table and slumped over the edge, head resting on his crossed arms. It was a silent moment, and Carthus enjoyed it while he could. Pushing the thought of fighting out of his head, he remained quiet and tried to just breathe.

"Desen and Tassos are back...how did it go?" Oro's voice trailed as he entered the common room.

"Shh" Enleif hushed him for a moment. Carthus heard the large Maad's footsteps crossing the room to stop beside his table. He let it all fade, and the only thing that remained was Atora's face. He could not clear his mind of her smile and the pain that it now brought him.

"It's alright," Carthus opened his eyes and slowly sat up, muscles still aching around where the arrows had hit him. He looked from Enleif and Jeden to the warriors and then to Oro, "make preparations...we go to battle!".