Part Nine - Darkness before Dawn

Carthus and Ythara drifted from one shadow to the next, avoiding all eyes. They snuck back toward Deredeus' villa as quickly as they could. The night was darker than most and nothing moved except the occasional patrols of the city guards, all dwarves dressed in finely crafted armor and blue cloaks. The two would be assassins avoided them easily, and at times Carthus found it challenging to keep up with the bregiri warrior who seemed to melt into the shadows themselves.

"This way" Ythara's voice whispered to Carthus from a shadow. He did not see the lizard man but followed his voice nonetheless. They came to a narrow street and carefully examined it from the darkness in the alleyway. Nothing but silence. Carthus looked both ways one last time and took a step forward.

"Wait!" Ythara stopped him with an extended arm.

Carthus gave him an awkward glance before the sound of footsteps on stone reached his ears. He sunk back into the shadow and watched quietly.

Ten or eleven Nadaens ran by at a hurried pace, spears in hand and helmets on. Their green and yellow cloaks wavered behind them, and they disappeared around the next corner.

"Bregiri are known to have better ears than humans..." Ythara smiled, "and we can see better in the night."

"Good thing you are here, I would have been caught" Carthus patted his friend on the shoulder. The bregir grinned and nodded onward, stepping out of the alleyway. Together they quietly ran down the street in the same direction as the Nadaen force.

Carthus kept up with the lizardman, but his thoughts raced ahead to the green and yellow clad Maeli. Where are they going? The young warrior thought. He shook his head, trying to focus on the moment.

"This way" Ythara suddenly turned down another alley. They ran faster now, ducking around crates and other debris in the way. Carthus nearly tripped twice in the dark of the narrow lane, but the bregir moved with ease. He caught himself, wincing at the pain in his shoulder. He had forgotten that Jahkai had sliced him with his blade. The blood was still flowing although the adrenaline of the run had pulled his mind away, either that or he was numb from the pain.

They reached the end of the alley and stepped out into the small street right in front of Deredeus' villa. Carthus glared in shock as fires raged from within the walls. A group of Nadaen Maeli stood guard outside of the battered down doors with two Coren Swords laying dead at their feet. Ythara moved swiftly before Carthus even knew what was going on. He charged across the street and had two scimitars drawn before he reached the Nadaens.

"Wait!" Carthus shouted. He lunged forward, throwing his spear. As it hit one of the Maeli on the other side of the street, two more fell to the bregir's blades. Carthus drew his bronze sword from his belt and ran forward but before he crossed over, the other two Maeli lay dead, killed in a whirlwind of scimitars at the hands Ythara. He looked at the five dead Nadaens as he pulled his spear from where his target had fallen. Ythara knelt beside the two Coren Swords and whispered something to the dead men.

"There will be more Nadaens inside" Carthus whispered. He put the blade back into his belt and grasped his spear tightly.

"How did they find out that you were staying here?" Ythara asked, standing to face Carthus quickly.

"I don't know," the young Maeli replied. He could see the pain and rage in Ythara's eyes, "we'll find out together." Ythara nodded after a short pause and then motioned to the battered down doors.

"Let us go...our enemy is likely still here" Ythara agreed.

The two warriors ran into the villa, going from the atrium to the first few rooms. There were a few dead Coren Swords and Nadaens in each room and by the looks of it, they fought bravely. Carthus eyed each body carefully, afraid that he would see Oro or Jeden among the dead. They continued, not stopping anywhere until they heard the clashing of weapons coming from the courtyard. Ythara was through the doors first, and Carthus charged out with him.

A fire raged to the south end of the courtyard. What looked like the remainder of the Coren Swords stayed in a circle, fighting off about ten Nadaens on the other end. Behind them was the merchant Deredeus, who sat leaning against the wall, clutching his chest. Carthus saw no one else before he lunged into the fray with Ythara, flanking the unsuspecting Nadaens. They dropped three men before they knew what was happening.

Carthus faced another, stabbing his spear through the man's leather armor. He had no time to pull the blade back out before the next Nadaen moved in on him. The young warrior leaned back, just out of reach. He swayed in place and avoided another strike, grabbing the enemies spear and twisting it to disarm the warrior. As the shaft came free, he spun it around and stabbed forward, dropping the man to the dirt.

Ythara and the rest of the Coren swords killed the other Nadaens, and suddenly the commotion died down. All was still and quiet except for a high pitched ringing in Carhus' ear. It passed quickly, and the young Maeli glared at Ythara who approached the fallen merchant. He stepped to his side as well.

"We need a healer for this one!" the bregir shouted.

"Orthos, go fetch Baeris" a sellsword built like a bear commanded. Carthus didn't know any of the other warriors except for Carthus and Ithelius, their leader.

"The Alchemist?" Orthos asked.

"Aye...go!" the large man bellowed, "you two, see to the injured and report back to me with casualties...the rest of you spread out and keep your eyes open, they may return".

"They came here looking for you and your friends Carthus..." Deredeus coughed. He was bleeding severely from where he held on to his chest, "why do they want you?".

"How did they find us?" Carthus ignored the question.

"An old dwarf led them here" Deredeus replied weakly.

"That cursed rogue..." Carthus slammed a fist into his free hand, "Jeden and Oro, where are they?".

"Gone with the dwarf after..." the merchant coughed sharply, "he argued with the warriors about money."

"Most of the raiders followed after them into the night. We would be dead if the rogue and your friends didn't flee" the bear of a man spoke up from behind Carthus.

"They are gone for now Carthus, but we will find them" Ythara stood and placed a hand on the young Maeli's shoulder.

"We will" Carthus nodded.

"You are not going anywhere Ythara" the large man interrupted.

"Who put you in charge? Where is Ithelius? He will want to hit the Nadaens back" Ythara faced the large man without fear.

"Ithelius is dead...and all of this is his fault" the large sellsword pointed at Carthus.

"Ah curse you!" Ythara knocked the man's hand away, "you are a fool, Isidore...always was!".

"I won't stand for this" Isidore raised a fist.

"Those of you who want to honor Ithelius and strike back, come with me...we will find those responsible" Ythara turned away from Isidore and shouted his call to arms through the courtyard.

"No one is going with you!" Isidore replied with a laugh, "and if you leave, consider yourself no longer one of us."

We are fighting amongst ourselves while the others are in danger, Carthus shook his head. He glanced at Deredeus to apologize before he left but the dwarf merchant was already dead. He lay back against the wall, a lifeless form.