Part Four - Morside

Carthus remained in awe of the city on the horizon for the rest of the hard ride. The light sandy colored walls seemed to spread for miles and were taller than any structure Carthus had ever seen back home, seeming at least four stories from the distance. The towers all along the wall had rounded roofs painted red and there were other domed buildings in the city peeking out from behind the walls, all red or bronze or white. One structure within stood about twice as tall as anything else, except the tower near the far right side, which had a golden dome atop it. There were red and yellow banners on more than a few roofs and domes.

By the time they reached the walls, the sky had turned gray and a refreshing breeze began to blow through the plains. They had hit a smoother road and passed groups of people, several wagons, and horsemen along it, those who were coming and going to and from the great city. Carthus paid them no attention. He ignored the scattered houses and farms now spread throughout the plains.

There were even several smaller clusters of houses along the road with markets posted in pavillions but he kept his gaze on the city as it grew until the Rytari procession stopped just outside the gates. He could no longer see what lie on the other side of the massive walls, which now stood far above anything else in sight except the towers that lined it. The walls were covered with beautiful carvings as far as the eye could see and Carthus was desperate to get away from the Rytari to get a closer look.

He and his friends had never seen anything like it before. Back in the the clan lands, they only had one or two story structures and nothing nearly as majestic. Not even their temples or their tombs were as grand. He stood up on the now motionless wagon, glad that the bumpy road was done with, and rubbing his still sore and bruised cheek looked around at the mercenaries. The Rytari were busy unpacking and setting camp.

Fire pits were dug all throughout the site and light canvas tents soon rose up, with banners over many of them. He grinned and knew that it showed across his face light as day. Now was his chance to sneak away with Jeden and Oro amidst the commotion.

"What is that smirk for?" Atora's voice broke his cheer. He looked back quickly to where she had tied her horse to a post and sat watching them, amused.

"Nothing for you to worry about" Carthus replied, feeling embarrassed. He had not seen her there a moment ago.

"Are you three going to sit in the wagon all evening?" Atora asked. Carthus blinked, dumbfounded.

"We are free to leave?" Jeden asked.

"Leave, no...but see the city with company, yes" Atora replied.

"I thought you said we were not prisoners" Oro questioned her with a deep thunder. She showed no reaction to him whatsoever and instead answered looking at Carthus.

"You are friends...and large cities like this can be dangerous for newcomers, we wouldn't want our friends to get robbed or taken advantage of their first time in a big city" Atora smiled.

"Then let's go" Carthus jumped from the wagon. It was getting late in the evening and the sun would soon be setting. He didn't want to miss a chance to see anything. As his feet hit the dirt he was glad to be back on solid ground after a full day sitting still in the cart. Oro was right beside him. Carthus glanced at him and then at Jeden, who remained in the back.

"I guess we can see it" Jeden nodded slowly. Carthus watched him climb out of the wagon. He could tell that his friend was nervous and gave him a pat on the back.

"So who is our keeper?" Carthus asked somewhat sternly, not amused by the idea that they had to be watched.

"I'll go" Atora stood up and came face to face with the three of them. She was about a head shorter than Carthus and her big dark eyes pierced right through him. Her smile was there, as always.