Part Eleven - The Prince of Swords

Carthus paced through the small room, mind racing back to the fight in the plaza. He did not know whether or not his friends were okay. The blue-cloaked city guards stormed in and arrested everyone, with the help of the Rytari. He had no time to check on them, and the last thing he remembered was Oro lying on the ground, motionless and covered in blood. He stopped pacing when the latch on the outside of the door clicked.

The door creaked open, and Carthus blinked as a torchlight filled the small cell. Two soldiers stepped in, one clad in blue, just like the city guards, and the other clad in a mess of banded plates bearing the symbol of the Rytari on his chest. Each soldier stepped to one side and in walked Prince Cadan, treading lightly as if avoiding some grime on the stone floor.

"You are a troublesome hunter...Carthus was it? Of Redriver?" the young prince asked, finally glaring across at the Maad Maeli.

"Where are my friends?" Carthus demanded.

"Hmm..." Cadan smirked. Carthus suddenly remembered why he didn't like the self-proclaimed prince. The smirk faded, and the prince spoke softly, "you don't understand your situation...do you?".

"I know that I am stuck in a cell...and I don't know if they are alive or dead...at least tell me if Oro is alive" Carthus replied bitterly.

"Your friends are alive...can't say that they are unscathed," Cadan answered, "why did you lot lie to me back in my camp?".

"We did not know who you were and what you'd do to us...it was a mistake" Carthus admitted.

"I'm glad you see that now," Cadan replied, still speaking softly, "I know everything now. We questioned the other Maad men, the Nadaens who we have in custody. I know how they hunted you across the hills and plains, I know why you ran from us at the gates...a foolish thing that was!".

"Then you know we were only defending ourselves," Carthus said, still angry.

"Yes, that much is clear...but you killed the boy back home," Cadan said.

"In a duel that was sanctioned by the clan elders!" Carthus defended himself.

"So I heard," Cadan said.

"What happens to us now?" Carthus demanded.

"Well, you and your friends ran through the city in a fight that raged several blocks. There are many dead, and an entire villa was nearly burned down. It was lucky that fire didn't spread," Cadan stated with a pause, "but I told the king that it was all in self-defense and that you and your lot are under my care."

"What?" Cathus was dumbfounded for a moment, "why would you help us? What's in it for you?".

"Because it is the truth...and I saw you fight in that plaza, you are better than most men that I've seen fight, and your spear would earn honor and respect among the Rytari. Fight for me!" Cadan replied.

"If I say no?" Carthus asked.

"That would be a shame, and I would not approve of that choice...but I am no slaver and would not force you into service under my banner," Cadan said with a glint of sadness, "all of the Rytari are Rytari by choice, I do not own any of them, nor do I force the fight upon my people".

"So we would be free to leave?" Carthus asked.

"You are free, even now, we can take you to your friends" Cadan stepped aside and waved a hand to the open door.

Carthus moved forward quickly, but the prince stopped him with a hand on his chest. The young Maeli glanced at him, frowning.

"Think about the offer...Atora!" the prince called out before lowering his hand.

"Yes prince" the soft but firm voice rang with familiarity from the hall as Atora appeared in the doorway.

"Take Carthus of Redriver to see his friends...and return them their belongings; they are free to go" Prince Cadan nodded.

"At once, Prince Cadan" Atora smiled at Carthus and turned to go. He followed her quickly.

"Prince Cadan," Carthus stopped just outside the cell and turned to look back in. He bowed his head, "thank you!".

"I expect that we will see each other yet again Carthus of Redriver...I see great things in your future" Cadan smiled and returned a quick bow of the head.