Part Fourteen - Murderer

Carthus walked in silence with Jeden slowly trailing behind. He had taken the former Coren Swords down to the old nameless tavern where he and his friends had room and board and paid for their stay. Ythara and a couple of them were off right away to get some coin, to pay Carthus back. The bregir was also adamant on dealing with Isidore, who had placed himself in command of the rest of the Coren Swords since the attack on Deredeus' villa. Carthus saw him off and then tried to talk his friends into coming to the feast. 

Oro sharply refused, claiming that he wanted to stay and rest. Jeden almost refused as well, but finally agreed when Oro told him he would be okay by himself. The two of them reluctantly left right after. Carthus led the way through the streets of Morside. The whole city was relatively quiet as most people had the opportunity to sleep in and have a relaxing morning with family before the celebrations had started.

The walk from the nameless tavern in the Gray Quarter of the city to the Villa of the Rytari in the Red Quarter was quiet. Neither Jeden nor Carthus spoke, except to the few blue cloaked guards they saw along the way. The dwarves wanted to know where they were going, and the two Maad simply told them the truth and passed the gates between the quarters without further trouble. Jeden seemed to shuffle his feet awkwardly whenever Carthus glanced at him. It bothered Carthus to the point that he could no longer take it.

"What is the matter?" Carthus finally snapped as they entered the Street of Gold, at the end of which stood the Villa of the Rytari. 

"What do you mean?" Jeden asked.

"You know what I mean...I can see it in your eyes. Did I do something?" Carthus demanded. 

"You ran off in the night with a secret plot to kill a man and didn't tell us...as if you no longer trust us" Jeden replied just as sharply. 

"I told you why I didn't want you involved" Carthus stopped and faced his friend. 

"And because we were still at the villa, Oro lost his hand" Jeden shook his head.

"I know..." Carthus began, but Jeden snapped again.

"You weren't there...helpless as you watched your friend get pulled aside and beaten before finally being mutilated like that" the younger Maad man had tears roll down his cheeks. Carthus did not know what to say. 

"I can't turn back time..." he whispered.

"No...none of us can" Jeden barked.

"You blame me for it all?" Carthus asked.

"It is your fault...you killed Erius, and then you killed Jahkai," Jeden took a step back, "you think the Nadaens will stop hunting you now? You are a murderer! And now we are caught in the storm to suffer for your actions". 

"Jeden..." Carthus raised a hand, but his friend had turned suddenly and sprinted down the street. Carthus was not sure if he should follow him. He felt his pain and his anger.

"Damn it! What am I to do?" Carthus turned the other way and continued to the Rytari headquarters, taking long quick strides down the street. He realized that he too was now angry. Angry at Jeden and himself, but did he have any right to be?

He ignored several poorly dressed men sitting on a bench as he crossed the street to the villa, where the Rytari guards greeted him.

"Atora said that you would be here, go on in Master Carthus" one of the sellswords nodded to him with a grin. He ignored the men and walked passed. The villa was just as he remembered it, decorated with the most beautiful mosaics on the walls and the floors. The last time he had come, he paid no attention to any of it, but now, all he wanted was to forget his troubles. He glanced over several statues and busts carved from some white stone as he crossed the Atrium. I need a drink he thought, determined to forget Jeden's words and enjoy himself, you chose to leave the Clanlands with me.