Part Sixty-Three - Betrayal and Honor

"Why would they betray us?" Desen asked.

"They've been losing favor with the king since we started growing...since the king gave me the ring of the city," Carthus replied. He looked down at his hand where the simple gold band adorned his finger, "in Cadan's eyes we worked for the Rytari...but they've failed the king too many times and are desperate...Feluthar, and Chars from the Great Stones, asked that we serve his court directly."

"So they are not happy about us undermining what power they have left?" Desen shook his head glaring into his mug.

"Are they the ones who tried to kill you in the streets that night? We all thought it was the Coren Swords" Oro asked.

"It was Cadan himself...it had to be, the way he moved with that sword, it had to be him," Carthus drifted off for a moment, remembering that night and that hooded face still smiling, "Cadan is smart, he would have blamed the Coren Swords."

"They do call him the Prince of Swords," Desen sighed, "what now?"

"Well, the trouble at the Fire Cliffs has been dealt with, with the help of the Ordethi...they are on our side and want nothing but peace," Carthus replied, "they want Feluthar to pay for his crimes against his people."

"So you would have us go against the king?" Oro asked.

"I would!" Carthus replied sharply, "he is no king, doesn't deserve the honor of that title, but our first priority is to deal with the Ryrati...Cadan's men tried to take us into custody as soon s we arrived and they will no doubt come here next."

"I will make sure the men are ready, and we'll post sentries at the perimeter of our territory" Desen nodded.

"You have no trouble with the idea of fighting the king?" Carthus asked the Dwarf.

"Never, he has been a plague on this city since he overthrew the last king. I would gladly look upon his head on a spike at the gates" Desen grinned and slammed a fist at the table.

"Then we plan our defenses should the Rytari come, and when Ythara returns, we plan an assault if we can surprise them...either Cadan dies, or I die," Carthus nodded, "but I want to put another proposal on the table."

"Of course" Oro agreed. Desen remained quiet, listening.

"Tassos, he is young but has proven his worth and devotion in the Fire Cliffs...he is a skilled swordsman and should be a full ranked member of the Spears," the Maad said softly.

"Aye, always liked that kid" Desen quickly agreed.

"I do not know him much, but I trust you Carthus...agreed" Oro replied.

"We will give him the rank of officer and give him command of a small force, but I want him serving directly under me," Carthus said worriedly, "I want to keep a close eye on him."

"I thought you trusted him?" Oro asked.

"I do, but I fear for him...seems likely he would throw his life away at the first opportunity," the commander said.

"Aye, I have heard of his struggles...the boy is young but has been through more than most" Desen nodded.

"Then you both agree?" Carthus asked as the doors suddenly burst open with Ythara at the threshold. Desen and Oro both nodded, and Carthus stood leaning to one leg and wincing in pain, "call Tassos in here!"

The dwarf quickly left to get the boy as the yellow scaled bregir crossed the room and embraced the Maad.

"It is good to see you safe," Ythara grinned wide, sharp eyes glowing in the dim light of the room, "are you well? Your leg?"

"You as well brother, I am well...been better but nothing time won't heal" Carthus replied.

"I will fill him in later" Oro added as Desen returned with the young swordsman. They all rose, taking their places in front of their chairs facing Tassos, who quickly closed the doors behind him.

"What is it Master Carthus?" the boy asked.

"You went into the depths of that hell with me, unsure of your path in life...and came out a man, a warrior worthy of your rank and more," Carthus said, "We all agree that you deserve the title of officer and your own force of Spears under your command, what say you?"

"I am honored!" Tassos replied quickly, bowing his head, "I will not disappoint you..."

"You will report directly to me with your men, you have earned it," Carthus motioned for a spot a the table. The young man moved quickly to it, standing beside Desen. Carthus nodded, "you will get new patches of rank in the morning and I think you should pick the men to serve under you."

"Yes sir" Tassos bowed his head again.

"Now that we have concluded that, let's fill them in on what's been happening...and plan what's to come" Carthus sat down. A call came from outside of the room as the others took their seats and the door swung open after a short knock.

"There is someone here for you Master Carthus," a Spear nodded, stepping aside to let Chars the Black through with several robed men at his heels.