Part Thirteen - Good News and Bad News

Carthus sat on a short wooden bench, leaning on the stone wall behind him. He had his eyes closed, taking deep breaths of the cool morning air. It was always refreshing out before the sun rose overhead. A few days had passed since he and his friends were released, and he had spent them looking for two things, any sign of the Nadaens who had escaped the dwarf king's justice and the Coren Swords who had been arrested fighting for him. He had no luck with the Nadaens but the Coren Swords, he found out to his surprise, were still locked in their cells.

He took his anger to Prince Cadan, whom he found lounging in a small palace of a mansion on the Street of Gold with a few other Rytari officers, including Atora. The prince was not too happy with the young Maad Maeli's rage but heard him out and granted him his wish. The Coren Swords were to be released on the very next day under the guise of working for the prince. Despite refusing to fight for the banner of the Rytari, Carthus now owed the young prince a favor, one that the prince would call on when needed. Carthus did not know if he would regret this bargain he had made but knew that the Rytari were not a group he wanted to cross.

Now he sat quietly, waiting for the prince's messenger to come and order the Coren Swords to be released from the very jail he was locked in a few days ago. The calmness of the early morning was relaxing, and Carthus was glad to be out and about. He had left the task of finding room and board to Jeden, and the only place he found was a beat down tavern full of drunks and flees. They were all out of a job since the night of the attack on the villa and had to be extra frugal with their coin.

"On your feet!" a sudden shout lifted Carthus. He opened his eyes and leaned forward, frowning at Atora as she approached with two other Rytari as they all laughed to themselves. Her grin spread across her face wide.

"He sent you?" Carthus acted disappointed as he stood.

"Ah, no...I asked to come because I knew it would bother you!" Atora barked a reply. The others laughed again.

"Go back and send someone else" Carthus smiled back.

"Fine," she stopped, "then you'll not see your friends today."

"Hey now!" the young Maad gripped her arm in a firm shake.

"Let's go get this over with so that I can return to the feast" Atora smiled.

"I see you brought guards with you...is something going on?" Carthus followed her side by side with the other Rytari.

"Eh nothing is going on," they approached the wide gates of the jailhouse, and she knocked loudly. The banging echoed within, and a few clicking sounds followed. As the doors creaked open, Atora waved at the two Rytari, "you can stay out here."

"What is it?" a dwarf peaked out from the half-open gate, yawning.

"We've come from Prince Cadan and the king with this official order for several of the prisoners to be released. She pulled a bound scroll from her belt pouch and handed it to the guard. Carthus watched as he pulled the binding off and unrolled the parchment, taking a moment to read through its contents.

"All looks good, follow me" the dwarf guard nodded and turned away.

"Let's go and get your friends," Atora said.

"Agreed" Carthus nodded.

They followed the dwarf guard into the hall as another closed the gate behind them. Further inside the jailhouse, the first guard showed the parchment to his captain, who wore a sturdy feathered helm to show his rank. The captain nodded and motioned for them to continue. Atora let their guide walk ahead as she and Carthus slowed.

"There is trouble in the city...as you know, the Rytari were hired to find and arrest a group of rebels who have been secretly plotting to overthrow the king...these rebels have recently targetted officers in our company, and Prince Cadan won't allow any of us to travel the city alone" Atora said in a hushed voice.

"It's that bad?" Carthus asked.

"Aye, the attacks ended up with three officers killed and five more severely wounded" Atora nodded.

"These rebels are good at what they do then," Carthus said.

"Yes, they are...and your favor will likely have something to do with helping us find them...and soon" Atora nodded to the guard ahead when he stopped to let them catch up.

"You mentioned something about a feast?" Carthus asked, catching on that she didn't want to talk business in the guard's presence.

"Yes actually, I did," she replied, "the Feast of Gifts...it is held every year on this very day".

"Feast of Gifts?" Carthus asked.

"It is a celebration of the things which you are thankful for, friends and family...people give each other gifts and eat together," Atora replied, "you and your friends should come to the Rytari headquarters, we will be feasting all day and night."

"That would do us all some good" Carthus smiled.

"This is it," the guard stopped and pulled a ring of keys from his belt. He slowly flipped through the keys and tried a few in the door before one worked, clicking into place. He pulled the door open and grabbed a torch off the wall next to it, "you lot are all free to go...under the watchful eyes of the Rytari."

"What is this?" Ythara's familiar voice broke the silence within the cell. The bregir walked out skeptically and then grinned bigger than Carthus had ever seen when his eyes landed on the Maad, "ah my friend!"

"I couldn't let you rot in a cell after you risked everything for me" Carthus smiled, and the two embraced.

"You always come through for your friends," Ythara said, then he turned back to the darkness of the cell from which several other Coren Swords slowly emerged, "come now, Carthus of Redriver has freed us!"

"No time for a reunion now, let's be quick about it," the guard said sternly, "I have to get back to my post."

"With haste then" Ythara bowed, all the while grinning, and then motioned for the dwarf to lead the way, "after you sir."

"Let's go" the guard was not amused. He closed the cell behind the last Coren Sword, and carefully returning the keys to his belt, went on ahead through the dark corridor with a torch raised high overhead.

Carthus let all the rest go on ahead before he closed up the rear of the crowd. Atora waited for the men to pass and walked alongside Carthus. They turned a few corners and were nearly at the entrance before she spoke.

"So you'll be at the feast?" her voice was still low.

"If we are truly invited, then I see why not," Carthus said.

"Of course you are, my guests...you and your friends" Atora nodded.

"All of my friends?" Carthus asked, pointing ahead at all the Coren Swords with a laugh.

"It is a large villa...but, that may be too many people" she laughed.

They reached the entrance, and all passed the last of the guards, quickly exiting through the gates. The two Rytari soldiers stood guard in the street and greeted Atora when she approached them.

"I'll see you at the feast!" she shouted back to the Maad.

"Yes, I will be there" Carthus smiled, waving her on.

Ythara stepped to Carthus' side and grinned as the young Maad watched Atora leave.

"You like her," he said sharply.

"What?" Carthus asked in denial.

"I see it. My senses are sharp." Ythara replied.

"Well, they must be off after a few days in that cell," Carthus laughed, "let's go...you all must be hungry...and in need of a bath." He jokingly leaned back and held his nose.

"You!" Ythara laughed.

"He's not wrong" another of the Coren Swords laughed along.

"Follow me, and I'll show you where we are staying these days" the Maad warrior laughed and turned down the street.