Part Thirty-Three - Stories on the Road

Carthus was in the lead as the small party rode quietly through the city. The people in the streets always cleared the path for them since most knew who Carthus was now that the Spears of Redriver were gaining renown. The Spears had a good reputation; they were known as friends of the common people, and Carthus was glad for it.

They traveled in silence, except for Enlief, who whistled a tune to himself near the back of the group. He rode with Theo at the rear, Tassos was next in line and Farg was just behind Carthus. They left the city quickly, going through the western gate and rode out into the fields that rolled down to the horizon. The sun hit midday before they stopped to water the horses and rest for a moment.

"So what are we looking for in these cliffs?" Enlief asked, approaching Carthus.

"I don't know" Carthus replied. He was not sure, but he knew there was something there. Something that the Ordethi were trying to bring to light.

"There were rumors around the city about six months ago, that the cliffs were on fire...something to do with the king," Theo added as he hand-fed his horse some oats from a small bag, "I remember the people talking about magic gone wrong."

"That is what started talks of revolution against King Feluthar" Farg agreed.

"So the king set the cliffs on fire?" Carthus asked between sips from his waterskin.

"Aye," Theo replied, "that's what the rumors were, but they quickly died down."

"And why would the people want to rebel against the king for this?" Enlief asked.

"Well, the valley that sits in the cliffs was home to many people, there were settlements there, and talk was that King Feluthar refused to help them" Theo answered quickly.

"They were all caught in the fires?" Enlief asked

"That's what they say" Theo nodded slowly.

"Mount up; we keep riding" Carthus commanded as he strapped his bag of feed to the saddlebags. He took one final swig of water and climbed into the saddle himself. The others followed suit and mounted their horses.

"Don't forget the rumors of the dragon" Farg chuckled.

"Dragon?" Enlief asked from the back.

"Aye, that was another popular opinion among the people...it was not foul magic, but a dragon that tore through the cliffs and burned everything" Theo laughed. None of them had ever seen a dragon or knew anyone who had. Dragons were something rare, having been killed off in the past throughout all of Garia, but there was talk of them now and then.

Suddenly, Carthus heard a soft tune building up from the rear, and he glanced back to see Enlief plucking at the strings on his lute. He grinned at the Nord who returned a sharp smirk of his own, with a soft nod, and began to recite what sounded like a poem.

"Blood flowed freely down the ridge,

When the Serpent found some prey to feast upon.

Far through the rocky hills and across the stonework bridge,

The beast would eat its meal before the dawn

Bones and skulls would fill its den,

Along with long-forgotten crests and spears,

As it would often make a meal of the men

Who came to kill it all those years.