Part Sixty - Back in Morside

Carthus rode with the Ordethi and his Spears for a day before breaking camp in the plains. They were mounted, nearly a hundred men in all, galloping west at a fast pace. Even with his broken leg, Carthus kept up easily with a sturdy splint the assassins had made for him. He was eager to return to the city.

Carthus was finally reunited with Farg the Feral and was glad to see him alive and well. Tassos was by his side with his eyes peeled in every direction, silently riding along. He had mentioned the Storm Riders briefly, and Carthus remembered Theo talking about them Deadly warriors...horse-lords who ride in like a storm of dust. It is the last thing you see and hear before you die in these plains. Enlief stayed close to them as well, talking to Farg or one of the assassins when they slowed their pace of stopped for a moment.

When they finally camped, they had lookouts posted through the night, and early on, before the sun even began to rise, the Ordethi departed. They were to split up nearer to the city, to avoid unwanted attention. The assassins would regroup near the southern slums, and discreetly enter the city on their own. Carthus pushed the pace with his riders until the city came into view.

It was quiet when they neared the walls, and the sun was setting across the horizon. The Blue Army guards bowed respectfully when they saw the sigil of the Spears across their armor and their cloaks. Despite the growing darkness, the plaza at the gate was packed as common folk filed into the city and dispersed among the many streets. Merchant caravans pressed on through the crowds and more than once Carthus spotted Rytari sellswords marching by or keeping watch from rooftops. There seemed to be a strange tension in the city, he felt unwanted as the eyes of the Rytari met his.

"Do you see them? Watching us like we are criminals...you'd think we were wearing Ordethi banners on our foreheads" Tassos remarked quietly. Carthus was sure that he alone heard.

"You noticed it too" the Maad replied.

"I thought we were on the same side here, do you think they know something about where we were and what we were doing?" the young swordsman nodded, carrying a confused glint in his eyes.

"We were on the same side at one point in time...but they serve the corrupt king and now we have other allies" Carthus replied, "I doubt they know anything."

"Surely we cannot reveal ourselves just yet?" Tassos asked.

"No, not yet...we are still in service to the crown if anyone asks...you know the drill" Carthus nodded, whispering, eyes still fixed on the Rytari as they rode passed. He then spurred his horse ahead, calling to his men, "we ride to the tavern, there is much to plan."