Part Sixty-One - Swords at the Crossroad

Carthus rode ahead of the others, leading the way as the night grew darker. Tassos was next in line, with Enleif behind him, and the large tufted Tre'Ahn at the rear. They kept off of the larger streets hoping to avoid unnecessary attention especially that of the Rytari or the Blue Army. When the Maad noticed that the streets were emptying quickly, he pulled the small train of Spears back onto one of the central streets that lead straight to their headquarters. There was an odd tension still in the air, even with no one around.

"Halt!" a shout suddenly broke Carthus' train of thought. He spotted a single Rytari warrior walking out into the middle of the crossroad ahead of them, and pulled the reins to slow his steed. It was then that he caught sight of the others. Nearly a dozen Rytari sellswords stepped out from the shadows and dark open doorways. They were armed, spears and blades, the usual Rytari outfit, with several archers keeping their distance. He signaled the Spears to stop.

"What is this?" he demanded to the officer standing before him. The man, whom Carthus had never met before, had mid-length curly black hair and wore his Rytari patch on his chest with pride, resting a hand on the hilt of his curved bronze sword. His smirk reminded Carthus of Cadan.

"You are Master Carthus? Of the Spears of Redriver?" the man asked.

"What of it?" the Maad answered with a question.

"Prince Cadan would like a word with you..." the man began.

"I will speak with him when I am ready, now if you will excuse us" Carthus interrupted.

"I will do no such thing!" the officer frowned sharply, "I am to escort you and your men here to Prince Cadan's estate."

"And if we refuse?" Enleif asked, riding up to match Carthus, side by side with the Maad commander.

"I would not recommend it" the officer replied. He shifted his stance slightly, sliding one foot back. Carthus saw the grip on his blade had tightened.

"You will attack us in the streets?" Enleif asked, chuckling, "from what I hear, the Rytari are losing favor with the king...I would not recommend it."

"Does this Northman speak for you?" the officer demanded, glaring between them.

"I think my Northman friend is correct," Carthus nodded, "now stand aside."

"That I cannot do" the officer drew his sword slowly, flourishing it in a flash before raising it at Carthus.

"Aye!" Farg's tremendous voice grumbled in. Carthus didn't turn to look but he didn't have to. A moment later, the massive figure had dismounted and stomped past him to face the Rytari officer, "then we should fight! And yes, you may outnumber us, but I will take you first...and believe me when I say that you will die before a single arrow hits me. There is nothing your men can do to save you!"

Carthus glanced over Farg, who was unarmed but had his hands raised with claws brandished up at the officer.

"Do you really want to face a Tre'Ahn? This one is a brute...best you lot run back to your master and tell him that we will meet him when we are ready" Enleif smiled at the officer.

Carthus looked around and several of the Rytari shifted about nervously. He glared back at the officer and waited.

"Your fate will be worse if you do not go now," the man replied, looking at his soldiers before sheathing his blade. Carthus heeled his horse and pressed on past them. His men followed, again with Farg at the rear walking beside his oversized mount. The man called after them, "we all know what it is you are up to! Cadan will not be happy!"