Thirty-Six

Their married life seemed to be peaceful for the next couple of days with the same routine they had when they were living together, with the exception of them officially sharing a bed. Kakashi noticed that she enjoyed cuddling him while sleeping and hogging most of the blanket. He wouldn't mind, of course, and would instead just tease her about it in the mornings. 

"You know, even if I get myself a separate blanket," he pondered, rubbing his chin dramatically. "you'd probably find a way to hog that too." 

She protested, "Hey!" She took her pillow and whapped him in the face. 

He laughed before giving her a sly grin, "Oh, you're so going down." He pinned her underneath him and observed her grow more flustered. Once she was almost the same colour as her eyes, he leaned downwards to kiss her.  

About a week and a half later, Yumika was assigned on a mission that required her to leave for a full day. She cooked supper before she left since Kakashi had a day off; he would stay home and enjoy the food she made.

"What time will you be back?" he called from the couch.

"Around 8-9," she replied. "Not too long."

"Alright, later."

She ruffled his hair before leaving and shutting the door behind her. He smirked before resuming his novel.

~~~

"Kurenai?" Yumika was surprised to see her friend at the village's gates. "You took this mission too?"

"Yeah, I had a day off today," Kurenai gave her a quick hug. "Shouldn't you be on your honeymoon?"

"We never went on one." Yumika shrugged. "Never really thought about it."

Kurenai gave a 'tsk' while shaking her head, "I'd file for divorce if I were you."

The two looked at each other and laughed shortly before heading out. As the two walked for what seemed like hours, Yumika noticed that her stomach was beginning to hurt. It was a light pain so she didn't think much of it and shook it off.

"Hurry up, Yumi!" Kurenai pulled her arm momentarily. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Let's go!"

~~~

Kakashi had just finished his book and placed it on the side table next to him. He then rubbed his eyes and gave a sigh. He was a mix of bored and a bit stressed, for many reasons.

The Chunin Exams were coming up real soon, and although he cleared his team for it, he wondered if they would even excel. Sasuke, for sure, would. Naruto and Sakura? Maybe, with a bit of luck on their side. He wondered that if they did fail, would he fail too as a sensei?

"Oh, whatever.." he shook the thoughts out. "They'll be fine."

~~~

"Well, that was a success!" Kurenai stretched her arms in front of her. "A lot easier than I expected." She noticed Yumika bite her bottom lip while wincing. "Okay, that's the seventh time you've done that today. What's wrong?"

"My stomach's been hurting since this morning." Yumika frowned, holding a grip on her lower abdomen with her arms. As she continued to blink, her vision became blurrier and darker.

"I'll take you to the infirmary after thi—hey!" the raven-haired lady caught her friend as she slumped upon her suddenly. "Okay, we're going now."

When they arrived at the infirmary, a few nurses set Yumika onto a bed and began running some tests. Kurenai stood outside the room, nibbling her nail anxiously. She didn't recall Yumika getting hurt today and since she said the pain started in the morning, it couldn't have happened during the mission.