Chapter one: Infinite Parallels

We all have different lives. They're never the same, especially when we choose to live them differently. But once in a while, even parallels intersect.

-Katherine, a distant memory.

The present.

Idiots... Camilla thought as she headed back to the waiting area in the lobby.

The woman at the reception had spent most of her precious time typing ferociously on the damned keyboard and routinely smiling back before finally saying. "I'll patch you through in a moment"

A quick squabble had followed over the phone which Camilla hadn't heard clearly and the receptionist graciously added,

"The boss is in a meeting, if you would kindly wait in the lobby he would be seeing you in shortly".

More like forever.

When she reached the waiting area she couldn't believe her eyes.
It was completely packed as other people went in and out of the building.

And there was only one seat left at the rear end, between a man who seemed to have been living in a barbaric form of life and a woman who seemed to have come out of something less herself.

Great. Just exactly what I needed... Camilla said under her breath as she studied her only options.

She turned her eyes to the other occupant who looked mostly like a middle-aged woman who hadn't seen the light of day in centuries.

Before she could even decide if it was only better to stand, the woman looked up at her.

"See somethin' you like missy" the question was so direct that it almost knocked her off the ground.

She looked at the woman analyzing her, her voice had come out like a raspy whisper...like someone trying desperately to make out words with a pity excuse for a mouth.

Not you obviously.

God saved her from answering though, as her phone calmly vibrated in her purse.

She hurriedly walked away with a lot of questions in mind...

When she took out her phone she wasn't the least bit surprised to see the name of her boss.

"Camie, you better be doing your job right now, I was particularly serious about the importance of that interview".

Here we go again.

"I'm already here just got into some minor problems but I'll be with him in a minute or so"

She answered as fast as she could...but she could still feel the burning eyes of the woman on her back.

"You better be-"

"You don't have to worry Burk, I can do my work just fine" she cut him short.

There was a momentary silence before he answered,

"Fine...take your time, you're our best reporter and we need this interview Camie. Mr. Cadillan is something... different they say"

Well we'll see about that.

"It's alright Burk, I got this"

"I'm counting on you" the voice came back in hesitation as if he didn't believe he could have said anything of the sort.

Camilla smiled, this show of crumbling pride had amused her,

"I know...I won't let you down"

Before he could say anything more embarrassing, she hang up.

Endings: Book Oneजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें