Chapter 17 - Serious

After the hairdresser had fixed her hair she went home. Lucky for her they did not ask her any questions. They were just shocked. Who would not be shocked to see hair in such condition. She sighed and went home. First thing Pari did was to take off all the layers of clothing and look herself in the mirror. Her hair was very short now. Shorter than she would ever like her hair to be. She always preferred long hair. Pari did not think short hair would suit her. What had she done to end in such misery?

Pari went to the kitchen and made herself some tea. She hoped it would relax her. With that she also grabbed herself her favourite book and planted herself down onto the couch in the living room. Pari carefully read her book and peacefully drank her tea. She wished she could be sucked in by the book and find herself in a new dimension. Because the dimension she was currently living in did not do her any good. Some time later she heard the entrance door being unlocked. Pari knew it was Kabir, but at this point of time she would rather want it to be a burglar than her own husband.

"Honey I'm home." Kabir said while walking up to her.
His voice send down a cold shiver down her spine. She was afraid of him. Afraid of getting hurt again.
"Hi-i.." she stuttered quietly.
Kabir approached her closely.
"I got these for you, I know I overreacted the day before, so I hope you accept my apology, what I did was out of love!" Kabir explained.
Pari could not believe her ears. Out love he said? What kind of lie was that. He almost killed her with his way of showing affection. Pari wanted to scream at him, but she was scared.
Pari could not believe him, was he serious? But she had no other choice than to accept his apology.
"I accept your apology, I understand, thank you.." Pari lied. No way in the world could she understand his behaviour. But what other option did she have? Pari stood up and put the flowers in a vase full of water. She went back to him and did not know how to thank him. His touch would only pain her more. The memories of the wounds would not fade.

"I see you cut your hair, it suits you." He said. Pari was feeling so many mixed emotions. Obviously she had to cut it after what he had done to her.
"Ehm yes. Thanks.." Pari mumbled. Pari was so scared as if the man in front of her was a murderer. She could not recognise the man she had married anymore. She just wanted to sleep. Her head was spinning, she felt sick to her stomach.

The following day Pari woke up quite early. She was tired and exhausted. She did not want to face the day, but she knew she had to. Pari stood up and started to get ready slowly. She put on a thick layer of makeup. Usually she was not the person to wear a lot of makeup, but today she had to. Pari wanted to avoid any questions being asked. Once again she put on hundreds of layers of clothing and made sure she was covered up from her head to her toes. Pari did realise she was looking kind of silly, because it was not that cold. But she would rather die from all the heat instead of telling the truth.

Pari made her way to work and felt quite uncomfortable. She was receiving many stares from strangers and coworkers. Finally she made her way to her office and sat down. Of course it did not take a while until Dev came in. Dev did not want to rush in and embrace her with a hug of relief, because once again, he was not sure how comfortable they were with each other.
"I'm glad to see you all well again. I let someone cover up for you yesterday, so that you won't be piled with work today." Dev said. Dev examined her. He was not the person to judge, but it did confuse him on why she was covered up to the last bits. Dev thought that he was the person who hated the cold and not her. But apparently things change. Still it did not make sense to him as it was not that cold.

"What's up with all the clothing? You must be hot, take it off!" Dev said and tried to hold in a chuckle.
"I'm still feeling a little under the weather! So no I'll keep these on thank you!" Pari lied. Pari did not like to lie, but there was no way around it.
"Well at least take off your gloves, you won't be able to write with them!" Dev said and laughed.
What might have been silly to him was very serious to her and painful. But she could not blame him as he did not know why she did what she did.
"No thank you I'm staying like this!" She almost yelled. Pari really did not want anyone to find out about her condition, especially not Dev.