Chapter 5 - Finals

Study, study and more studies filled up their days. The final exams crept up. Pari as well as Dev were loaded with studies. Beside in school they had a hard time finding time to meet one another. The finals were very important for the both of them. Obviously both wanted to do well, so there was no time for meeting up and talking after school. Luckily since they were such good friends it did not feel like they were fading away. It was quite the opposite. Still as good friends as before, just less hanging out.
Both knew that after school finished life would change. Pari for example wanted to study abroad, which still broke Dev's heart, but he did not show it. And Dev, well he was going to study here in India. They promised each other that even with distance they would stay best friends and talk every day. Since he did not like to look that far into the future, he thought of something else.

"What did you write for answer C?" Pari asked while walking to their next class. Dev did not listen, he was lost in thoughts.
"Dev are you listening to me?" She repeated while stopping.
Dev finally paid attention and looked at her.
"Sorry, I was lost in thoughts.." Dev admitted.
"What were you thinking about? A girl?" Pari jokingly teased.
In fact he was thinking about a girl. About her. But she would never understand..
"Yeah of course." He rolled his eyes.
"Aww who is this person that is more important than your exams?" She asked with big eyes. Visibly Pari was interested in that topic. How much Dev would have loved to admit he was thinking about her, but he did not.

Suddenly a classmate interrupted their talk. Aditi, the most popular girl in school. Though Pari and Dev had quite a few friends, she was the more popular one. Every boy was practically drooling after her, but not Dev, Dev loved Pari.
"Hi Dev, what did you write for answer C?" Aditi asked and smiled at him.
Aditi was not one of those typical popular girls, she was very nice unlike the rest.
"Honestly, I don't remember." He laughed.
"Oh forgetful Dev." She said and shook her head.
Pari was just awkwardly standing next to them and watching what she assumed to be flirting. A weird feeling inside her tummy approached her. She was not jealous, not at all. In order to be jealous you would have to love that person, but Pari did not love Dev did she? She quickly shook that thought away. She guessed she was a little hurt, because he answered Aditi immediately and did not listen to her.
"Will we see each other later at lunch?" Aditi asked.
"Ehm.. sure?" Dev said quite unsure.
With that Aditi left. Usually Pari and Dev would spend their lunch time together, but apparently today it was not the case. Something about that whole scenario bugged Pari.

"We are going to be late for class if you keep flirting with Aditi!" She said and faked a smile. It was not jealousy, it was just having to share her best friend with someone else. Bummed she went to class with him. Oh what a day..