Twenty-Eight

Friendship improves happiness and abates misery, by the doubling of our joy and the dividing of our grief – Marcus Tullius Cicero

"What is it you want me to help you with exactly?" Ian asked as he walked with Hadley from The Surf Shop.  She had appeared in the store at the end of his shift with no explanation except that she needed his help.  After pausing briefly to chat with her father, Hadley towed Ian out of the store.

It was mid-afternoon but the sun was still burning hot in the sky.  All Hadley wanted to do was go for a swim to wash the heat away.  She didn't care that she'd spent the majority of the morning in the water at work, cleaning some of the larger tanks and learning how to properly hand-feed the rays.

Hadley said, "My mom and I decided that it's time to go through some of Tanner's stuff and put anything delicate into storage to keep it safe.  The two of you were really close and he has a ton of photos of the two of you from when we were kids.  I thought you might want to help and see if there's anything that you want."

Ian smiled down at her.  "That'd be great.  Thanks, Had."

She shoved his shoulder.  "Anytime."

"How are those letters coming?  Are you still working through them?"

"Yeah."

"What number are you at?"

"Twenty-three."

Ian was silent for a long moment.  Then, "Still no mention of why he did it?"

Hadley shook her head solemnly.  "No.  Some of the letters he writes are really short.  Just a couple sentences and others go on for a few pages.  He had me enter a surf competition, though."

"Oh?"

"It's this Saturday."

He started.  "You entered the regional qualifier?"

"Yes.  I'm really hoping I don't mess it up as much as I think I'm going to.  My sponsor got word that I was entering and they're sending a few scouts to come watch how I do.  They've been really lenient with me since Tanner's suicide, giving me time, but that'll only extend for so long.  They want me back competing and doing well or they'll drop me."

"Is it still your dream to go pro?"

Hadley shrugged.  "I don't know.  I still love to surf and be out on the water but it's different now.  I miss my coach.  I mean, my dad was always the one helping me with my training plans and getting me ready but Tanner was the motivational speaker I needed before I hit the water.  He always helped to keep me calm and find my rhythm."  She offered Ian a small pained smile.  "I guess I'll just have to do that myself from now on."

Ian nodded slowly.  "Well...Maybe Casey and I will conveniently find ourselves down at the beach Saturday morning.  Just in case you need a pep talk.  I know some of Tanner's old lines.  He used to practice them at me before delivering them to you."

"Really?" Hadley was surprised.  She'd never heard this story before.  They turned down onto her street.  Up ahead, Hadley could see her house waiting before them.

"Yup."  Ian laughed.  "He wanted to make sure that he always said the right thing so he'd lecture me and then run off to find you.  Every time."

For a moment, there was nothing for her to say. 

Then, quietly, "I never knew that."

They reached the edge of Hadley's property and stopped a few paces away from the front steps.