Chapter Twenty-Eight

I sat by the sea, filled with positive thoughts in what felt like the first time in forever. There was hope for us. Hope, that I never even thought would be possible. I was smiling at the sea before me. 

I knew the flame was only just a portion of my problems. It was definitely the major one though. I loved that it was gone. Now, all I had to worry about was my relationship with Noah and the curse that was put upon mermaids and protectors dating. He didn't seem so sure of our outcome and I just wish it could be simple. 

My phone rang from my pocket and I picked up.

"Hey," I said, already knowing who it was because of caller ID.

"Lara, come over for minute." Noah quickly said, then hung up. I looked at the phone for a second, was everything alright? 

I got up from the sand and made my way to his house on foot. 

When I was about to knock on the door, Noah already opened it. "Hey!" He grabbed my arm and pulled me in. Okay?

"What's happening?" I asked Noah. He looked like he was about to leave. So, I wondered why he had called me over in the first place. 

"I have to go meet with some of the mermaids that live underwater and I needed to see you before I went." 

"Why? What's going on?" I tried to keep a calm and straight face. I didn't want him to know I was starting to worry. 

"I need to tell them about the flame being gone. I want their take on this. They know better, and they'll be able to figure it out." I didn't like the idea of Noah always keeping them up to date about me. I didn't even know who they were and I seemed to be like a little project of theirs. Why did they even care? I had already decided that I wouldn't go join them underwater. 

"Do you have to?" Like I said, I didn't like the thought of them knowing anything about me.

"Yes," he sighed. "I want to ask you something." I nodded, waiting for the question. "I was thinking of telling them where we are. I think they should know about us." He looked down for a second. 

The realization hit. "No! You can't! It's one of the big rules not to break. We agreed to handle that ourselves." I was surprised that he wanted to bring it up. If the flame was gone, all that was left was to figure out the curse. If they didn't agree to our relationship, they would probably create an even bigger curse or worse, take him away forever. 

"But things are different. If they take everything to a positive direction, maybe I might. Maybe something will change and we could be the ones to do that." He grabbed my hand and squeezed it. I turned away. I couldn't agree with him on that. I shook my head at him. I didn't want that, if things got better, then we could tell them at the next meeting. "Okay, I won't say anything." 

"If these things are about me, why am I never allowed to come?" 

Noah froze for a second. "Only light mermaids are allowed there and since you contain a piece of dark, they don't want you there." He frowned, "they're afraid of you."

"But, it's gone now." Wow, they didn't even know me and they already didn't want me to be part of their group unless I was like them. Good, pure, and of light. Did they not have negativity down there or they did, but were darn good at hiding it?

"Yes, I know. That's why I have to go tell them and I'll let you know what happens." We stepped out the door and he pulled me in for a kiss. "I'll see you soon." I grabbed his hand and held on, but loosened it as he took steps away from me. We slowly let go and I watched him walk away. 

I took a couple steps closer in his direction, watching him leave always made me sad. These mermaid meetings took days, sometimes even a week. I was afraid that he wouldn't return, and I didn't even know why.

He came back every time.

Sometimes I would regret not running after him and telling him that I loved him. Because I really did, but I was afraid to admit that. Love was a weird thing to me and being loved by someone was something I never expected to happen to me. 

He truly meant so much to me.

When I looked up, he was already gone. I smiled sadly, then turned to head home. 

He would be fine. Yet, I still thought the other mermaids would do something to him. I didn't even know why I thought that. 

When I got home I noticed that my dad wasn't home. It felt like I barely ever saw my dad anymore. It was like I lived here on my own. I walked into the kitchen and sat on the counter. I remembered when my dad use to bring me here and set me right on this counter while he tried to sort everything out. 

I never knew that one day we would ever permanently live at this beach house. I loved the beach so much at the time. I meant, I still loved it, but I didn't swim as often as I use to. 

I sighed, hopping down. Then I noticed something. My eyes landed on the fridge and there was a picture there that I never saw before. I walked over to it. It was the photo of my mom sitting on the rock by the sea.

I stood there, confused. I remembered taking this picture back into my room. How did it get here? 

Did Dad place the photo here? It didn't seem likely though. He never mentioned her in any way.

I took the picture off the fridge and got a good look at it. I noticed something I didn't see before. At her side, mostly hidden, was a piece of her tail. 

No way, I thought. 

I knew she was a mermaid, yeah, but I had never noticed the tail in the photo before. Her tail was also the same color as mine. 

Would I ever get to meet her? 

Even if I did, I wasn't sure what I would do.

I stuck the picture back on the fridge and decided to go to my room. I wondered if there was any more pictures of her as a mermaid. But when I thought back to the day I found the box in the old room I use to play in, there wasn't a single one besides the one I knew of now.

I wondered, how did my dad react when he found out she was a mermaid?

Well, whatever happened it obviously worked out. 

I walked out to my balcony and looked at the waves that were crashing onto the shore. I wanted to swim. I missed it so much. Maybe, I just needed a good swim. I barely ever swam and part of it was to blame on the flame. I was always afraid that I wouldn't be able to go back to land and no one would be able to help me. But, now, that it was gone I should probably go take a swim. 

I walked down the stairs and walked out to the sand. I stood there to take in the wind and the sound of the seagulls. Then I went by the water and watched as it crashed on the shore, almost making its way to my feet. 

I waited until the water reached my feet and then I jumped in. 

__________

Wow, this was sooner than I thought!

Aw, Noah's away..
And so rude of the mermaids not letting Lara go to the meeting just because she's not like them.

 Haha..

Anyway, guys follow my twitter. I'm going to try and use it more so most update information and stuff will be posted there. My username is @mermaidsangel 

Hope you're enjoying the story!