Chapter Forty-One

"As if we needed this." I slammed my hand against the counter.

"Look, you did-"

"Yeah, I get it. It's my fault. It's Lara's fault. I chose the wrong path, I did the spell, and now, I'm working on fixing things I shouldn't be." I sighed, "I get it."

"So, when is someone going to explain to me what's going on?" Noah asked, from where he sat.

Every time I heard his voice, or took a look at him, my heart would feel different. A good different. But then, I remember everything, and my heart drops.

"Stupid Asher is a fugitive on the run." I turned away from Noah and looked over at Asher. I stuck my tongue out, and he narrowed his eyes at me. Then he punched my arm, and I grabbed his wrist and tried to burn his skin.

"She's lying." He ripped my hand off. "Anyway, it's a really long story." Asher said, hoping to get him to stop wondering what was going on.

"It's actually not that long," I blurted, giving Asher a hard time.

"What are you doing?!" Asher replied between his teeth.

"But it's long enough to bore you to sleep." I smiled at Asher, who was still narrowing his eyes at me. "It's nothing to worry about, promise."

"Well, if you're really my girlfriend, which I don't see how, since you don't seem like my type, then I guess-" He paused, "I'll wait till you're ready to tell me."

My eyes grew wide, not only because of what he said, but he still had his calm personality. If I was in his place, I wouldn't believe anything.

I knew from the start that Noah and I were too different when it came to statuses. But none of that mattered. We cared about each other and-

My chest felt empty, and I wish I knew how to make it stop. I could only feel a small spark of fire, burning right by my heart. If I were to place my hand at my chest, it would probably be the hottest place on my body.

"Hey! Be careful!" Asher shouted at me, but low enough so Noah couldn't hear.

I let go of the toast I was holding. It was burned to a crisp.

"Sorry," was all I muttered out.

My emotions controlled the dark flame within my heart. If I wasn't careful, I could probably burn down the whole town.

"What are we going to do now?" I asked Asher, who was cleaning the crumbs from the toast.

"Be on high alert. We can't do much else but run and hide."

I sat up on the counter, clasping my hands together.

"None of us are capable of fighting against whoever is coming. Chances are they were the mermaid leaders, but I'm not too sure, since the guardian mermaids are after you, too." Asher sighed, "on top of that, we have a mindless person that we have to drag around."

I glared at Asher, but he ignored me. I jumped down from the counter and went over to Noah. I sat on the coffee table across from him.

"I really need to get home," he told me, shaking his leg, impatiently. But there was more he wanted to say. Something like, 'I really need to get away from you two psychos.'

"I'm so sorry, I wish we could do that." Biggest lie I ever told. I wanted him to be Noah again. I wanted him to help us out. Two knowledgeable protectors were better than one, especially, if your one protector was Asher.

I reached for his hands again, without realizing. And our hands lightly bumped against each other, which caused him to grab my wrist tightly. I gasped and tried to pull him off me. That was what hurt the most. His magic always trying to get me.