Chapter Thirty

"You're letting her sit with us?"

"Yeah, why not?"

"It's a little hard to believe, you know," Ariel whispered. She didn't want Selena to hear our conversation. I let her sit with us since I thought it was nice of her to help me the other day.

"We're okay now. Plus, she's not even with her popular friends anymore, so I thought she could sit with us."

Ariel narrowed her eyes, then closed them, and smiled. "Okay, it's fine by me." She was such a nice person. I watched as she took the last bite of her pizza.

Selena came back and sat down. She changed a lot since she became a mermaid. Not only did her personality change, but her appearance as well. Her eyes were more of a sand color, but it was only visible to merpeople. Her black hair had a blue shine over it, which I thought looked beautiful. She even lightened on her makeup, but she still cared about fashion. The way she looked at Ariel earlier, I knew she wanted to comment on her outfit.

I wondered if that happened with every other human who turned into a mermaid.

The bell rang and Ariel jumped up. "I am not going to be late this time!" She shouted. Ariel was gone before anyone could say a word. Selena got up to leave also.

I was heading toward my class, but stopped when I heard my phone ring with a text. I leaned against the wall and pulled out my phone. I saw that it was from Noah and opened the text with a smile on my face.

Meet me by your house.

I replied, now?

A few seconds later my phone rang again. Yes :)

I looked over at the front of the school. There were a couple teachers walking around there and they wouldn't let me leave. I went into the bathroom and waited until the late bell rang.

I turned to the mirror in the girl's bathroom. I was looking at my sea blue eyes, still mesmerized by the unnatural color.

I heard the bell ring and I looked down at my phone to check the time. I gave it another few minutes to make sure no one else was out.

Once I thought it was safe enough to walk out, I looked over at the mirror one more time, then took a step forward. I stopped right in front of the door. I thought I saw something off in my reflection. I took a step back, but everything looked fine. I looked straight into my eyes. I guess I was just seeing things.

I snuck out of school with no problem. There was no one in sight when I made my way to the front of the school.

I walked all the way home, removing my shoes when I reached the sand. I kept my eyes near my house, hoping to spot Noah.

When I got closer I saw him staring at the ocean. He stood there, his hands in his pockets while watching the waves crash along the shore. The wind was blowing his hair everywhere.

My heart started pounding and the excitement was getting to me.

"Noah!" I shouted.

He turned around and smiled at me. I started running toward him and when I got close I dropped my shoes and jumped up to him, hugging him tight. He held on just as tight. I missed him so much. I never wanted to let go.

He laughed, "don't you want to hear what they told me?"

"Yes!" I hugged him tighter before letting him go. From the tone of his voice I could tell it was something good. I smiled looking up at his ocean blue eyes that were just like mine.