Chapter Two

Maris threw a horker bone to Barbas, who took it into the other room. “Just don't take it onto my bed!” She called after him. She heard a muffled response that sounded somewhat like a 'fine'. Maris sighed and pulled her cloak off. She was just glad to be away from the sun. She could just sit, read and relax. She had nothing to do for the rest of the day, so had the entire day to her... KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK! Maris' face immediately darkened and her eyes shot to the door. If it was him, she was going to kill something.

She slowly walked up to the door and with all her muscles tensed and teeth baring, she inched it open.

“Get back to the training yard right now!” Vilkas yelled. Maris cracked her knuckles and gritted her teeth.

“I would love too,” She smiled charmingly. “But I have work to do.”

She went to shut the door but Vilkas grabbed it and pulled it open.

“I said, we're carrying on with training!” Vilkas growled. His voice low and his jaw beginning to change and shift to become more wolf like.

Maris noticed this and smirked to her self. “You should really walk your dog more often, looks like he's getting restless.” She mocked. Vilkas' eyes widened and he stumbled away, clamping his hand to his mouth. Maris had come to the conclusion that Vilkas was far to stubborn to give the wolf any amount of control. If he became the wolf he lost. If he lost he was weak. Recently however, the wolf had been taking control weather he allowed it or not. Never in full on transformations, just small outbursts of pure instinctive and conscienceless action. Gladly, none of them had ever been directed completely at Maris.

“Shut your fang filled mouth bloodsucker!” Vilkas murmured, looking away. Maris lent against the door frame and scowled.

“Says the mutt with a mouth full of canines?” Maris sneered. “You're just as much a monster as I am.”

“I am not a monster!” Vilkas yelled, turning back to her, his hands falling into fists beside him and his eyes becoming blank and angry. “You are the beast! Whelp! You are the creature of the night! The stuff of nightmares!”

“And you think no child has ever been afraid of the big bad wolf.” Maris asked.

“I am not the wolf!” Vilkas yelled, walking towards her, Maris stood back. “I am still human for the most part! And i've kept the other side at bay! You, You're constantly a monster.”

“Is that why your fingernails have been replaced with claws? Such amazing restraint.” Maris sighed sarcastically. Vilkas looked down at his bloodied hands. His expression hardened and he grabbed Maris' arms. He pinned her against the wall, pushing her up to sit awkwardly on her desk.

“Let go of me mutt!” She hissed. “You are just proving my point further!”

Vilkas stared harshly into her eyes. His eyes had brightened from the dull grey to a bright and hostile yellow. His claws dug into her wrists, drawing blood.

“You think you know everything?! Then tell me why it's only you! My wolf only comes out when you're around! Part of it wants to rip you apart and the other part wants...” his voice trailed off for a moment and it seemed like his fury had subsided but then he found it again. He moved his mouth closer to Maris' neck. “How easy would it be to just take what I wanted. You think you're so strong but do you really think you could stop me?”

Maris let out a whimper as his grasp tightened still, his claws dug in further. She could smell Vilkas' blood but she wouldn't loose herself. She had to stay composed and calm.

“I would have an arrow in your heart or my fangs in your neck before you even drew your sword.” Maris said calmly. Vilkas moved so he was face to face with Maris, his yellow eyes seeming to glow.

“Do you really want to test that Nightwalker!” Vilkas said, his voice low and intimidating. Maris sighed and rolled her eyes.

        “All right Mutt, you've had your outburst, get off of me.” Maris said sternly. Vilkas hesitated for a moment, lingering by her neck. His eyes melted away to the usual grey and his viscous facial expression also dropped to a solemn and almost sad mask. He looked away and his hands dropped to Maris' sides. Maris, let her body relax and Vilkas moved away. He turned away from Maris and put his hands to his mouth.

“I-I apologize...” He mumbled. Suddenly, he looked so week and small. Maris' expression softened.

“Vilkas...” she said, sliding off the desk. “Are you aright?”

“I'm fine.” He growled. Not daring to look at Maris. Maris went to put her hand on Vilkas' shoulder but paused for a moment. She didn't hate Vilkas but they weren’t exactly friends. She proceeded but Vilkas didn't even seem to notice. He just stood, slightly hunched over, his eyes closed and his hands covering his mouth.

“Vilkas... I can help you you know... I can take away the wolf... If you'd let me.” Maris mumbled. At this, Vilkas straitened up and shrugged her hand off.

“This is my burden to carry and I do not need a monster like you to help me.” Vilkas hissed, without even looking towards her. He went for the door.

“Well... You know where I am... I may not like you but I am the Harbinger and I will do my best to help my companions...” Maris said. That was the first noble thing she said that she actually meant... and it was to Vilkas. She shivered slightly.

“You don't deserve to be Harbinger...” Vilkas growled, slamming the door behind him. Maris went to follow him but decided against it. She did her best to swallow the anger that was clawing up her spine. She looked down at the deep claw wounds on her wrist... They looked familiar.... She pulled her robes down to show her pale white shoulders. Deep pink scars blemished her smooth skin. She remembered when she had gotten those scars. She must have only been around fourteen or fifteen. Her first encounter with a werewolf... though she couldn't remember the exact details. The first 18 years of her life had become a blur once she had become a vampire. The blood had effected her head to the point where she just couldn't remember what had happened, or even who the wolf was... The memories where still there, they were just filled with a fog that made it hard for her to see clearly.

        Barbas pocked his head around the door. “Are you okay mistress?” He asked, though his voice was muffled by the bone he held in his maw.

“Yes Bar-Bar, I’m fine.” She sighed. “Listen, do I have any contracts to do? I want to kill something.”

Barbas thought for a moment. “There's one for some old guy in Riften called Greet.” Barbas said. Maris nodded and went to her room. She needed something to sink her teeth into. She pulled open her wardrobe and pushed against the backing. It gave to the force of her hand and she slid it open. Behind was a small alcove which held a armour mannequin. She closed her eyes and put one hand out. Blue, ice like mist swirled about it and she placed a finger tip gently against the nightingale armour that was upon the mannequin. She was never very good with magic but this was a spell she was glad she took the time to learn. The blue mist spread across the nightingale armour and up her arm. Coating it with the sparkling smoke. Suddenly, the mist fell away to revile that her wolf armour and her nightingale armour had switched placed. Her cloak swayed elegantly as it fell around her. She breathed a sigh of relief. She felt so much better in black. She pulled her grey cloak around her to hide the armour. Before she and Brynjolf had become nightingales, they were nothing but a tale but since they had both began wearing the armour on thieves guild outings. People had come to learn what the agents of nocturnal looked like. Especially the companions. She winced slightly as she noticed the pressure her arm braces applied to her wounds. She pushed it down. She would have to manage. She had a job to do.