Chapter Forty-Three

Start from the beginning

She understood it to be the way of men but to see Zi Wei moving on with her life while DiDi allowed life to pass him by was difficult.

Yu Yan had to learn how to help DiDi discover a way for him to move on without "actually" helping him – by being someone who supports him silently in that arduous journey out of the woods where Zuer left him.

Knowing he is happy now (at a level that even his assistant reports it to her) made her want to know whether it was caused by a certain young woman, who had an amazing talent for writing other people's stories.

And no one can really blame her or her husband for thinking that because there is only one woman, in the name of Shen Yue, who has recently entered their son's life.

Surely...

"Mommy!", her firstborn's voice cut into her musings and she rose from the seat to give him a kiss on the cheek.

"Sir..." Hao nodded towards him and made his exit, closing the door behind him.

"I'm happy you visited me", DiDi told her as he joined her in the couch.

"Well, I had a project I needed to discuss with Tang Delan because we're reclaculating the funding for it. I thought I should drop by and surprise you."

He smiled. "Is the project you're talking to Delan about the one for the orphanage?"

She nodded.

"Also, I am here to remind you about dinner with the Hans."

"Dinner?!?"

This is perfect, Yu Yan thought to herself. She could have the opportunity to hit two birds with one stone.

"The Hans invited us over for dinner. Have you forgotten?"

His eyes flashed.

He indeed forgot about it.

Or he could have purposely forgotten it because he knows what's at stake during this particular dinner and he does not like it AT ALL.

"I thought we weren't doing this dinner anymore."

"We didn't cancel since you said you were ok with it", Yu Yan told him, watching him intently.

The Hans, Xiang Su and Lei Ning, were good friends and were once business partners of her husband before they struck out on their own years ago. They also have a lovely daughter who is friends with Zi Wei and who DiDi knows socially and has even worked with.

When the Hans sent the invite, it was hinted that they wanted to see whether a love match would be possible between their eldest son and their second child.

She is, afterall, one of China's most sought after Bachelorettes.

"I have Xiao Wen's number. I will just call her to cancel it", he muttered.

Yu Yan rolled her eyes. "That would be embarrassing for her DiDi. Besides, we are not even sure if that is really what Xiang Su and Lei Ning have in mind."

"But you said –"

"I said that Han Xiang Su joked with your Dad about it."

It was her son's turn to roll his eyes. "Mommy, you know Han Xiang Su will never joke like that if he doesn't actually mean it."

She smiled, eventually turning it into a smirk. "Of course, I know. Anyway, I reminded you of it because I have it on good authority that Xiang Su and Lei Ning might not attend dinner later. They are going to let Xiao Wen go all by herself."

DiDi groaned. "It is possible that this good authority you speak of is the Han Lei Ning herself?"

"Who else would it be? She called to let me know how excited she was for dinner later though they were feeling a little under the weather because she and Xiang Su just returned from a trip."