5

On our way to the subway, I ask her why she wants to see a psychic.  

“I am a square and I have to make it in a circle’s world."  

I have no idea what she's talking about, but something about the way she said it makes me feel sadly empathetic.  She has that look of vulnerability and sincerity that tugs at my heart.  

“Yea, I live in a circle’s world, where everyone looks up to people with brand name college degrees and impressive family backgrounds.  I know I don’t have that.  Last year alone, I tried everything from jewelry design to bar tending to nail art to wedding photography, but I still have no idea which path will lead to a life of dignity and financial security.” 

I take a minute before I respond.  When I first met her, what I immediately sensed was her unusual energy—raw, passionate, antsy, restless.  Plus her exotic beauty.  Plus a hint of desperation.  It seems like she doesn’t know how to channel all of that into doing something productive. 

“I feel stuck in a hole.  Actually, I feel like my life is a maze, with me running around busy but I can’t see a way out.  I'm working so hard but I have no idea if it’s going to lead somewhere.”   

Oh dear God...I really don't know how to respond to things like this.  But my mouth is already telling her, "Yea, I feel the same way.  Let's go see the psychics." 

Even though I don’t see how seeing psychics will help, I guess I just want to be there for her.  In the hospital, it was her presence, not something helpful she said or did, that had made all the difference.  Instead of feeling embarrassed or self-conscious in an unfamiliar setting, I actually felt ok.  Ok because we were talking and laughing.  It was that simple.