Chapter 72

The tattoo place wasn't so much a tattoo place as it was Jisoo's friends apartment. But it was clean, and neat, and the studio itself was pristine and clean and the friend herself, Suzy, was perky and preppy and very fun to talk to.

Jennie was nervous, as she ought to be, and Jisoo thought it was absolutely adorable.

"Don't worry babe, it'll be just fine."

"Okay, so you want a leg piece and one on your back, right?"

Jennie nodded. "Are we doing both today, or-?"

"I think it's best we start with one. I'd suggest the leg one, but it's your choice."

"Let's do the leg then."

Suzy let out a laugh and patted Jennie's knee gently. "Don't be so nervous, it'll be just fine. You've got a fine wife to comfort you, and I've got Oreos and I can put something on Netflix if you want, though you won't see much since you'll be on your back mostly."

Jennie smiled, but was unable to conceal her nerves. "It's still a bit scary."

"The sound can be a bit scary," Suzy admitted, "D'ya have good noise-canceling headphones?"

Jennie nodded, and Jisoo tapped her shoulder lightly to draw her attention. "You can finish listening to that dull audio book you've been listening to for ages."

Jennie let out a laugh. "It's not dull."

"It sounds like it."

"And it's not an audio book, it's a lecture on Plato's later theories and their prevalence in the philosophical theories of the early-"

"Yeah, yeah," Jisoo laughed, "I didn't ask for you to give me the whole lecture. It's cute that you like smart stuff like that."

"Says you, who just picked up Lisa's physics book and read it through in one go?"

"What? It was interesting!"

"Jisoo, even I couldn't get through that one."

"It was a theory on the very existence of our universe. Now that's interesting."

"Sure, sure."

"Alright, so, I'm just going to get started with the stencil- how about you lie down here, okay?"

Jennie was a little tense, but Jisoo sat down next to her and laid a hand on her shoulder, giving it a gentle rub. "It's not going to hurt, it's just drawing the pattern on your skin first. Alright?"

Jisoo could see Jennie was a little pale, and gave her a hand to hold. "This isn't the painful part."

"This is a little freaky."

"You'll be fine."

Once the stencil was done with, Suzy brought out a mirror and allowed Jennie the time she wanted to look it over and really think it through.

"So, what do you think? You wanna do this?" Jisoo asked, smiling gently.

Jennie looked at her leg for one last time before nodding. "Ok. Let's do this."

Suzy had her lie on her stomach at first as she got started. The anticipation of the pain was more agonizing to Jennie as the pain itself, which came as a surprise – she jolted just slightly, but kept her leg still, and her hand tightened around Jisoo's for a brief moment before easing up again.

"Good," Suzy told her, "Stay relaxed. If you keep tense for the whole time, you'll be exhausted by the time we're done."

"You were right about the noise," Jennie muttered, "It's terrifying."