Chapter 48

Jisoo was stressed. That much was evident from just about every fiber of her being; she was pacing, tense, and very irritable. She'd already snapped at Jennie thrice just that morning, and Jennie was having a hard time reminding herself that Jisoo's irritation was not because of her, but because of what they'd read from the email Taeyeon had sent them early that morning.

Her parents were at it again. Jennie had half known to expect this, so she hadn't been surprised when she'd read that they were in the process of undoing the property transfers they'd done to her name years before. Taeyeon, being their attorney, had of course sent a complaint of this already, but in all likelihood, the dispute was going to be long and strenuous.

They were claiming that Jennie had tricked them into transferring their property into her name – according to what Taeyeon had explained, their story claimed that she had neglected to inform them of her personal 'significant' monetary assets, ones which she'd earned from her internships and scholarship grants, and thus had led them to believe that she was in need of monetary assistance. The whole claim was ridiculous – the 'significant' monetary assets were barely enough for anyone to live on, since most of them consisted of what she'd made during internships. Nevertheless, the fact that those funds had been left out of the paperwork meant that her parents could claim fraud, despite the fact that it had been their idea to leave it out. They hadn't thought it significant at the time, but Jennie now found herself wondering if they'd always built in that little back door for themselves to undo the transfers if need be.

The likelihood of that was high. Her parents may have been assholes, but they were smart assholes.

Jennie knew they'd be fine. She had a sufficient salary from her job at P&R, one which could support Jisoo and herself if necessary – so what if they had to downgrade from the beautiful loft complex to a smaller studio apartment somewhere other than the million-dollar neighborhoods of Manhattan?

She'd endured Jisoo's pacing for half a day, but it was becoming more and more annoying. She was tired, as was Jisoo, and that bode no well for either of them.

"Jisoo, could you please stop?" Jennie finally groaned from her seat on the couch. "Your pacing is giving me a headache."

Jisoo stopped and looked at her with a strange expression on her face. "I'm worried, Jennie, and I don't get how you can be so calm."

"You're taking this too seriously. It's just a property claim case."

"Just? Jennie, we – no, you could lose just about everything! Doesn't that bother you?"

"You're making it a bigger deal than it is. You shouldn't care so much," Jennie grumbled, rubbing at her forehead. She had a headache, and Jisoo's pacing and nervousness was only making it worse.

"Clearly I do need to care, seeing as you don't seem to care at all."

"What do you mean?"

"Jennie, you didn't even react when you read the email."

"So?"

"Do you even care?"

"About what? Some material property?"

"Your parents are trying to ruin you again, and you're just sitting there, calm and zen like nothing's wrong!" Jisoo snapped.

"I- It doesn't matter, Jisoo, I knew it'd happen."

"That doesn't mean it's any less shitty!"

"It's not like we could've stopped it."

"I- I don't get it. I don't get you."