Chapter 55

Once Jisoo was certain that Lisa was fast asleep, she wriggled herself away from the two sleeping brunettes – she laid Jennie down on one side, and Lisa to another, and then rushed off with the phone. She was surprised at how composed she was – obviously she wasn't as attached to Chaeyoung as Jennie or Lisa, but she had grown to care for her, and did feel the constant nagging of nerves and disgust in her gut that told her that she was afraid. She, too, hadn't been able to keep the tears at bay, not when two of the most important people in her life were both sobbing in her arms. Nevertheless, she forced herself to function enough to slip into the hallway and pull up her mom's number, despite it being so early.

Miraculously enough, her mother answered not seconds later, and Jisoo let out a sigh of relief.

"Oh thank god," she said quickly. "Mom, I need your help."

"What is it Jisoo? You sound awful. What's wrong?"

Jisoo gave her mother a quick rundown of what had happened, after which Dara let out a long sigh during which Jisoo knew she was rubbing her temples. She always did that when she was stressed.

"I don't know what to say, Jisoo. Is...is Lisa ok? And Jennie?"

"No, they're not. Lisa, she's....I've never seen her like this, it's horrible."

"What do you need?"

"I need to get in touch with anyone from the camp. We just have to know something, anything. Can you arrange that?"

"I can try."

"And hurry, please. Lisa's asleep now, but I know she'll wake up soon and if she starts crying again, I'm probably going to cry too – she's so broken, Mom, I don't know what to do. I don't even know what to say, I can't tell her Chaeyoung's fine because what if she's not- she's afraid Chaeyoung's dead, because she saw a news article and apparently there's one dead and Lisa won't stop thinking about it, and I understand why she can't stop but she's literally tearing herself to pieces over it-"

"Thus far, we don't know anything. So just let her sleep as long as possible, and I'll try my hardest to get in touch with someone. I'll forward them directly to your number, ok?"

Jisoo slid down along the wall until she sat on the floor, and set her phone atop her knee before resting her head back against the wall and shutting her eyes. She had a headache, she was tired, but that didn't matter. No, nothing else mattered now than the phone on her knee and the call she was expecting. She could bear to go back inside – she didn't want to see Lisa and Jennie, not now, because even in their sleep Jisoo could see their tear-stricken faces and

She didn't know how long she waited. It was probably hours, judging by how sunny it'd gotten outside by the time the phone did actually ring. Jisoo had dozed off, head resting against the wall as she slept, and so when the phone rang, she darted awake, casting the phone to the ground. It took her a few seconds to regain herself, after which she grabbed the phone as quick as she could.

"Hello?"

Jisoo gasped when she heard Chaeyoung's voice. "Chaeyoung!?"

"Jisoo?"

"Holy shit, Chaeyoung- oh my god, are you okay!? What- no, nevermind, first tell me you're alive and fine and not dying."

"I'm all of...that. I'm fine."

Chaeyoung sounded like she'd gone to hell and back. Her voice was raspy and quiet, weak even, and Jisoo groaned as she got up to her feet. "Wait a second, I'm giving the phone to Lisa."

She hurried to the door and practically ran inside, and didn't even stop before she was at the couch and shaking Lisa awake. The brunette whimpered and tried to push Jisoo away, but Jisoo nudged her again.