Chapter 59

And so two days later the two of them found themselves standing in front of a door, nervous and excited and not quite sure what to expect.

"You sure we can do this?" Jisoo asked quickly. "A puppy?"

"Yes, we can, Jisoo. And if he's as cute as you say he is-"

"He's a puppy, Jennie. Of course he's cute."

Jennie laughed. "True. Should I ring the doorbell now?"

"Wait. Let me breathe."

After Jisoo had sufficiently calmed herself down, Jennie reached over and pressed the little button beside the door. Immediately in response to the ring, they heard a little muffled bark, and Jennie knew then that she was done for. A moment later the door opened, revealing Bogum's friend, a quirky looking woman with a faux Mohawk, blue on one side and pink on the other, and the reddest nose anyone could ever see.

"Jisoo and Jennie?" She asked. "Bogum's friends?"

Jisoo could see a little puppy trying to force his way through Joy's legs, and smiled before offering her hand.

"Uh, yeah. I'm Jisoo. This is my wife Jennie."

"Wife? Nice. I'm yet to even find a girlfriend," Joy smiled as she shook both Jisoo's and Jennie's hands. "Come on in, but I warn you – he's adorable and a ball of fun, but he's got razor sharp teeth."

They stepped in, and saw the puppy, and instantly fell in love. He was a golden retriever, just barely ten weeks old, tiny and fluffy and so excited to see them both that it was just overwhelming. Jennie crouched down and the puppy instantly ran to her, whining excitedly as he tried to simultaneously lick and bite her fingers. She was laughing, the feeling was so new to her – all the dogs she'd ever met in her life had been expertly trained dogs, meant to be accessories, not pets. The puppy before her was so energetic and pure and so cute that she simply didn't know what to do.

Joy smiled. "You know, you can pick him up, if you like. He loves to be held."

"Really?"

"Yeah, go for it."

Jennie looked at the puppy, perplexed. "How-"

Jisoo crouched beside her and promptly picked the puppy up. "Hold out your arms."

Jennie did as told, and a moment later there was a ball of fur in her hands and a pink tongue trying to get at her face. She yelped, but didn't drop the dog, only tried to get away from his consistent licking and failing miserably. Jisoo couldn't help but laugh, and Joy did too – Jennie, on the other hand, kept her mouth shut as the puppy kept licking her face, and did not know what to do.

"He's a little energetic," Joy explained. "But he's kind."

"He's adorable."

"So you'll take him?"

Jisoo looked at her incredulously. "Of course we'll take him. Unless you're having second thoughts-?"

In response, Joy sneezed. "No, please. I love him, but he makes my nose run like a tap. I can't keep him."

"You hear that, Dalgom?" Jennie cooed at the puppy, who'd settled on gnawing the string of her hoodie. "You're ours."

"You want us to transfer the money to you now, or-"

"Yeah, that'd be nice."

Jennie stayed on the floor with the dog while Jisoo went a little ways off to settle the paperwork. The puppy was so small, so fuzzy and soft and warm and adorable, and she just could not comprehend any of it. His little nose was so tiny, his tongue so pink, and even his slobbering puppy kisses didn't bother her. She'd wanted a puppy since forever, but her parents hadn't allowed it, and then it'd just been inconvenient.