Chapter five: mendacium

I wake up, subsiding in and out consciousness; piecing together an image of a wooden ceiling through my fuzzy vision. My body trapped in some sort of sleep paralysis session, the memory of JQ and Jase flooding in solemnly through my gasping breaths as I shift my eyes around the room.

Jase woke up that night, recalling her initial awakening. The way she shot off the couch, straight onto the hotels stiff carpets. Yanking the IVs snugged into her veins. Before the tanks came rambling in, the way the hotel shook as they surrounded us only a few moments after.

Her first words were "Don't trust him"

The words she tried to mumble to me weeks ago, the ones I couldn't make out. Her warning.

We tried to escape together, but they shot JQ down in front of us. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5

I count the bullets that went off, in my head realizing the pain from my ankle starts to seep through my paralysis. The aching in my heart presenting itself as I regain perception of reality. Feeling myself grieve them.

His fresh blood soaked my clothes, it reached a wide radius as I distanced myself from his slain body. JQ's brain matter and guts soaring into my hair as they shoot at his carcass repeatedly. His vessel and soul forever planted on that street. The only reason I escaped is because of Jase, they abducted her. Lobbing a bag over her head, bounding her arms and legs and towing her to one of the tanks.

-

"You're up"

A woman says with wide, green eyes facing me upon my reawakening, I jerk myself back from the surprise of her presence. My arms tied to the bed, lending them rope burn at my sudden movement.

'What the fuck Is this, who are you?'

I scream out wanting an explanation, throwing myself around the bed trying to loosen the nooses for my escape. Not wanting to be apart of someone's elses sick game.

"I found ya out by the trees, thought ya were dead"

She notifies me throwing me a pair of sarcastic duck lips. Her voice carrying a comforting southern ting with it.

"Call it precaution"

The lady starts untying my body parts, easing my discomfort a little as I check out the room around me. Just a bed, a window and a night stand. Sunlight flowing through the square window burning my eyes.

"I go by Scena, yourself?"

Scena acquaints me, shaking a bowl of dried nuts and berries my way. I grab the bowl, scarving it down without chewing it; letting it glide down my throat feeling it settle in my stomach. She tosses me a water bottle as she repositions herself on the wooden rocking chair, chugging hers.

'Anesaki, where am I?'

-

We listen to the Russian filled radio in her living-dining area room, the battery powered fan blowing warm heat out against us as we're sprawled out on the floor. The calendar on her wall marking the day to be August 5th, 2025

"Зомби"

Scena repeats the voice from the radio, gazing at me from upside down.

"Means zombie, it's the only word I know"

She chuckles out, flipping herself onto her stomach. Scena is around twenty-five, she has long, curly black hair and a kind smile. Her cabin is filled with coupon receipts and grocery bags.

'Is this what you did before the apocalypse?'

Questioning her, pointing out the ridiculous amount of trash lying around. Noticing the cabin is ran on solar power.

"It's gotten me out of the cannibal mess so far, but it's gotten low"

She admits to me, standing up and walking over to a cabinet with a flower-patterned curtain pulled closed. Scena glides the curtain to the left side, revealing the pantry with three canned food items and a pack of water in it.

-

'I can't stay long'

Relaying to her, knowing the people who killed JQ and Jade could be hunting me down as I speak. The two of us placed at her island table.
Her face turns to a frown as she starts twirling her hair, the ravioli that's heating up lingering in the atmosphere around us. The cabin is a quiet, secluded area with power but against those people; it's useless.

'You can come with me'

I throw the ultimatum out there, giving her a choice. She mixes the ravioli around in the pot, turning the heat off and plopping the spaghetti dinner into two bowls. Scena thrust the bowl down the island countertop, the steam smacking me in the face as I take my first bite.

"Two is better than one"

She tells me, feeling the memories of JQ and Jase waltz themselves back in. Tears start to fill my eyes, my throat swells; trying to hold back the weakness with sudden failure. My body heaves back and forth as it tries to catch up with my cries. Scena hugs onto me, caressing my hair and comforting me; the Italian seasoning wafting from her from her whispers. She didn't ask or convey, only supported.

-

Sena guides me through the wooded areas, holding out the map in front of her, leading us away from the cabin. My ankle stabbing as I limp on it, every step shooting pain through my body; putting the steady pain aside for survival. Aware that we have to get far away, as soon as we can.

"That's the spot"

She calls out, the mass opening to a road prevailing itself to us from a distance. The roadway's black pavement peeking through the trees.

-

We get to the road's line, seeing a black SUV parked at the side of it. The sun glistening off the side of it, throwing its heat at our bodies.

'It's them'

Trembling out, indicating to the car; watching the concern grow over Scena's face while I plead out to her.

"That's my whip"

She advises me, jingling the keys in front of me. Feeling like I have to shit from my sudden shock of nerves, the PTSD officially taking grasp of my sanity. The concern still ridden on her face as we tuck ourselves and belongings into the spacious car.