Chapter two: perditus

I hear a slash, before me, the zombies head smashes open. Jutting out blood and brain matter promptly onto my face and attire. The monster expels his weight from me, Provoking my body to fling rearwards; landing on my ass.
He crashes torso headfirst into the cement.

Grotesque blood pours from his open wound, surrounding and saturating itself onto my bare legs. Blanketing them in the rustic, red substance; laying my head on the cement soaking in what just happened.

I start to gag, the vomit trudging it's way up my throat until it's splattered all over the cement infusing together with the rotten blood.

'W- what the fuck is this, Zombies?!'

My tear kissed eyes meet with JQ's as he flings brain matter off his crowbar, my body shaking from the adrenaline and confusion I'm carrying.

"Not sure, all I know there are more freaks out here like this"

I pick myself up off from the ground, Disregarding JQ's attempt to help me up; fiddling around to find my phone only to realize I dropped it in the panics rush.

'Ju- just keep me safe until I reach Jase.'

-

"This way"

JQ informs me, many steps ahead of me; pointing and running in a different direction to a street called Roxy. Taking us in the opposite direction of the hotel. A local bank revealing the time to be 12:30 am.

I bring my body to a stalemate, the persistent scampering intertwining with my anxiety influencing me to grasp for breaths, the need to quench my thirst and to relieve myself. JQ stops with me, turning his momentum towards me.

"Everything is gonna be okay"

He tells me with pacifying eyes.

"My house is just right there, once we get there  you'll understand"

His face wearing Exertion, the smoldering humid environment not helping our situation.

Ridiculing him. How could anything be okay?

-

Reaching the garage of JQ's house, the lamps still conveying light, revealing his pool-table lounge area and Mazda parked alongside it.

'Nice layout'

Commending him, it's the least I could do for him saving my life.

'It would be chill to hang out here if we weren't about to die'

nonchalantly joking off our situation to him, he throws me a discouraging smirk before folding himself into his Mazda.

-

The leather seats still warm from the days' heat, solacing me amidst all of this horror.

'You don't need to check on your family?'

Questioning him seriously, knowing I'm searching for someone yet he isn't. JQ turns the car's engine on, the garage door creaking rear of us. He shoots me a pair of enticing eyes.

"Solo Dolo"

-

JQ drives us down the opposite way we came onto the street, driving through lawns just pass the polluted traffic jams. I click on the radio, the static penetrating my ears before a subtle news reporter voice comes through.