12.

The light reflected off the clean metal of the saw. Lia tended as the doctor pressed it onto the cast and slowly cut through it. She looked over at Lindsay and coughed, as the smell of her arm started to fill the room. As the cast was cut off, she looked down and wiggles her fingers to get the feeling back into them, then smiled as the doctor pulled off the cast.

"Smells like rotten flesh." Lindsay gags and looks down at Lia's arm, blocking her nose quickly.

"You're right." Lia responded simply and pulled her shirt over her nose.

"Okay, so now I'm going to cut off your cast on your ribs." The doctor spoke clearly, "If you can just lift your shirt." He spoke.

Lia nodded and pulled up her shirt, keeping herself still as the doctor started to cut off the cast. Once he was done, she let out a deep breath and closed her eyes for a minute. "Thank god." She whispered, "I won't wake up to being stabbed anymore!" She cheers and smiled over at Lindsay, then the doctor.

"Hooray," The doctor smiled and then finally pulled off her knee Immobilizer after throwing away the other casts. "So, I'm going to put you in stretchy braces now instead." He said softly and rolled over to the drawer, opening it. "At least for your arm and knee. How has your shoulder been?"

"Fine actually, it hurts rarely." Lia responded and nods at the doctor, looking down at how skinny her arm was. She gently moves it around and smiles. "I have no headaches anymore, my neck doesn't hurt."

"Good. Sounds like you're healing nicely." The doctor smiled and stood up off of his chair, "I'll be right back, I need to go find more braces." He walked towards the door and opened it, but before he left, he looked over his shoulder at Lia. "Do you think you'll need a brace for your ankle as well?"

"Oh, no." Lia smiled, "I've been fine walking on it and just with an ace bandage."

"Great!" The doctor smiled, "Be right back."

Once the doctor left, Lindsay shook her head. "I'm washing that damned arm." She grunted and helped Lia up and spotted her towards the sink. "You feeling alright?"

"Yeah, I'm alright right now." Lia responded to her friend, turning on the warm water with her good hand. She sticks her arm under the water and watches as Lindsay lathered soap onto her arm and rubbed it gently. "How long do you think I'll need to wear the braces?"

"It could be anywhere from a week to a month or two. It depends on your body." Lindsay responded and rinsed off Lia's arm, then lathered it up with soap a few more times. "I think that's as good as it will get for right now."

"God, I can't wait to shower." Lia laughed and gently dried off her arm, then went back to sit on the table.

"Me too, sister. Me too." Lindsay teased and smiled as the doctor came back in.

"Alright. You're a small, correct?" He asked to confirm with Lia as he walked back over to her.

"I suppose we'll find out." Lia said and watched the doctor open the arm brace, then loosen it up.

"Ready?" He asked and looked up at her. "It might hurt a little bit," he spoke slowly and then watched as Lia slowly put her arm into the brace. "Perfect." He smiles and then bent down to untie Lia's shoe after tightening the straps on the brace back up.

Lia took her shoe from the doctor and set it beside her, sticking her leg out. "Good thing I wore shorts today."
She muttered and watched the doctor slide the brace into place, on her knee, and then tighten it. Lia grabbed her sneaker and slid it back on, tying it before she stood up. "Thank you!" She smiled over at the doctor, taking a breath as her ribs started to ache.

"You alright?" Both the doctor and Lindsay asked.

Lia nodded slowly and looked over at Lindsay, noticing the look on her face. "Yeah, I'll be fine in a minute. Just landed too hard." She spoke and looked over at the doctor, thanking him again before he left the room.

"All set?" Lindsay asked and smiled over at Lia, taking her free arm.

"Yeah, all set." She said, "I need to make an appointment for my car sometime this week." Lia added and smiled, then looked over at Lindsay as they started to leave the office. "I'm so ready for a shower."