Chapter Twenty-One || Destroy You

DESTROY YOU

⬵⤁

Warning: Depictions of violence, SI/HI, Cybertronian gore, human injury, and war.

⬵⤁

"Just one more time,
Before I go, I'll let you know,"

⬵⤁

Jack pivoted, entire body stiffening up when he realized he had his two sights pointed directly at Ratchet's chassis, his finger on the trigger and half a second away from firing. He hesitated, head tilting up to look at the vivacious optics he had come to know so well. Ratchet was not looking at him, however, but rather at Mirage. Yet there was no horror on his face, merely a mixture of shock and disappointment.

The human refused to get sick again, trying to force the images from his head. Hands which had healed, which had held him and comforted him even in his darkest of times . . . surely they wouldn't. Ratchet couldn't.

But he did.

"Jack, you need to stop this," Ratchet took a step forward, refocusing on his human charge. "Escape is futile; there is only so far you can run-"

Hot, angry tears ran down his cheeks, betrayal digging into his heart. Claws of grief seized Jack in a vice grip, and with a wail of agony - emotional, physical, mental, all of the pain in the world - he fired.

Ratchet crumpled like a sack of potatoes, his knee blown out by the force of the blast placed there. He barely managed to catch himself, grimacing in pain as warm energon leaked around the wound. It was a well-placed shot, especially for one who knew little about Cybertronian anatomy, anger flaring up in his spark.

Capture him.

Forcing himself to stand he leaned heavily against the wall, watching Jack sprint out of the door and away. The medic limped after him, confident he could catch up even with a lame joint. It was excruciating, Ratchet gripping the side of the hall for support. Every step easily encompassed three of Jack's, but he was slow going, his nanites and the dark energon in his systems working overtime to heal the wound. He was unsure if the bullet was still lodged inside - which would explain why it hurt - however he could not allow it to impede him. Megatron wanted Jack captured alive; though he may not have the human living much longer. Not after what he did to Mirage - and Soundwave.

The realization hit Ratchet like another bullet. Jack had offlined two important players in this war, and was attempting to escape. Megatron would not be merciful. For all of his obsessions, the warlord could not afford for Jack to remain living. Even if Ratchet begged for his life . . .

Megatron could just easily force Ratchet to delete the memory files, a thought which terrified him greatly. Though the warlord was not one to care for tampering with memories, if it meant keeping Ratchet under his control and retaining his undying loyalty, he might have the procedure done. That, or he would simply find a way to twist Ratchet into hating what the human had done to them.

This war was not Jack's fault, nor was it humanity's fault - Ratchet would always stand by that statement. He was scared, as any understandable creature would be.

If Ratchet could not convince Megatron to spare the human's life, after all that he has done, would it be better to just let Jack escape?

No, he thought, though now he was unsure if it was his own. He needs to be brought to justice. Maybe not death, but he must understand the consequences.