Chapter Seven || Peace with You

"Fear is ever-changing and evolving,"
⬵⤁

Ultra Magnus stepped off of the exit platform to a very strange sight. The ground around them was pure desert, the orange and yellow sand threatening to get into the kinks of his armor and grate against his protoform. Standing tall in the sand was the Decepticon commander Starscream, his wings perked up in authority and slender helm tilted forward to assess the lieutenant. Beside him was Jazz, who looked far too relaxed for his taste. On the other side of the Seeker was a native of the planet, a human, who stood tall next to Starscream despite being comically tiny.

"Lieutenant," Ultra Magnus growled, narrowing his optics as he slid into a defensive stance. "What is the meaning of this?"

"Hey, hey, we're all cool here, Ultra Magnus," Jazz held his servos up, taking a few steps forward to place himself between Starscream and the Autobot. "Starscream has been leading the human resistance against Megatron. Look, I didn't believe it myself-"

"That is Ultra Magnus sir to you, lieutenant Jazz," Ultra Magnus corrected, his expression twisting into an unhappy look. "And how do I know this isn't some Decepticon treachery?"

"If it had been," Starscream answered in English, startling both Agent Fowler and Ultra Magnus for a brief moment. "You would have been offlined the moment your pedes tread on the sand."

"Coming from the mouth of Megatron's most treacherous second in command, I'm not convinced," the Autobot commander curled his servo into a fist, ready to retaliate if need be.

"Since you know me so well, you also know that I have an extensive history with attempting to betray Megatron," the Seeker clapped back in return, "of which has yet to be successful. I remained with the Decepticons because I took the adage keep your enemies closer quite seriously; but Megatron revealed his hand - he wishes to finally be rid of me for good. So, I instead aligned myself with the humans he has been attempting to enslave for the past three Earth years."

There was a long pause as Ultra Magnus watched him, the pair not breaking optic contact for a long time. Jazz was becoming a bit antsy, wondering if they would try to shoot one another, but finally Magnus broke contact and looked towards Agent Fowler.

"I am aware that Cyclonus is marching his army across this continent, and I am sure he is attempting to reach across the seas to other native populations and gain their support," Ultra Magnus said. "But it is still hard to believe that the likes of you, Starscream, would be here instead of on Cybertron."

"Is there an effective resistance on Cybertron?" Starscream questioned.

The commander glanced over at Jazz, debating on whether to say anything. It was clear Ultra Magnus did not trust Starscream in the slightest, which was unsurprising. Jazz cocked an optic ridge, wondering if Ultra Magnus would lie - the commander was not really good at that when he was not under intense duress; but it helped that his facial expression never changed from its stern look, making it difficult to discern what he was thinking.

"Not an effective one, no," Ultra Magnus finally said, sounding defeated. "Any Autobots that have managed to forge a rebellion are in small groups. If Megatron ever finds their locations, he could easily wipe them from existence."

Starscream nodded in understanding. "That is why I find it best to focus our efforts here, on Earth, where the Decepticon hold is still weak. Earth is aware of our existence; it only makes sense that once we take full control of the planet, the Autobots can use it as a place to regroup and launch an attack."