Chapter Thirteen || Befriend You

BEFRIEND YOU

⬵⤁

"Is the battle cry,
The battle cry,"

⬵⤁

Sierra grit her teeth as she slid from the bed, her arm and leg whining in protest. Her burns were healing slowly but surely, and today she was ready to get up and do something. It had been a few days; quite frankly, she wanted to be in the hospital as little as possible. She despised the smell - not of the people, but of the cleaners and strong chemicals. It bothered her far too much.

As she stood to her full height and stretched, she flinched slightly as the tender skin at her neck protested lightly. Though she had suffered the worst of the burns on her arms and legs, a few first degree ones lingered on her neck and chest. Those probably hurt the worst, likely because they just peeled off the top layer of skin, and did not fry her nerves underneath.

Using a crutch for support the young woman decided to go on a walk, limping through the halls with the occasional grimace. Her IV had been removed a couple of days into her recovery, now that she had dialed back the pain medications to nearly 0. Sierra was honestly terrified of developing a narcotic or opioid addiction, thus she preferred to "tough it out" instead of take away her pain. Due to this and her ability to tolerate PO, by mouth, the doctors had elected to have her IV removed.

Yet they wanted her to remain for a few more days to monitor for potential infection. No thank you.

As she made her way towards the emergency room, the nurses were appearing more agitated, a few bouncing from the stock room to the ER, a doctor shouting orders as they prepped one of the trauma rooms. She spotted Miko amidst the chaos, her hands shoving a gurney towards a group of people, which was caught by a nurse as June Darby flopped a body onto it.

Jack? She saw hair stained bright-red, bright blue energon staining their body and clothes. She did not get a good look at their face, and she hesitated. There was some doubt that she would be able to so vividly see such bright red on Jack's black hair.

So . . . what is Miko doing here? She's not a nurse?

"You shouldn't be here," she jumped a little, turning to the nurse who addressed her snappishly. "You need to return to your bed."

"I . . ." she hesitated. "I-I think I know who was brought in-"

"That doesn't matter," the nurse reached out to take her unwrapped elbow. "You need to return to your assigned gurney. Are you in the derma wing?"

"Sierra?" Their attention was switched back to Miko, her eyebrow cocked as she approached, the scrambled team of nurses and doctors disappearing into the trauma room with the patient. Miko peeled off her energon-stained gloves, tossing them into a designated bin which happened to be nearby. "Did you hear what happened?"

"No . . ." she hesitated as the nurse shot Miko a dirty look.

"Young lady, we have a strict dress code for the hospital," she interrupted before Miko could open her mouth. "And there are HIPAA laws we must follow. Who that patient is is none of her business, and you cannot share their information with her."

"I'm not a staff member," Miko shot back, flashing her badge in the woman's face. "Though I do have level nine access to the facility. And I'm friends with Sierra, so let's just call this a visit. I'll take her to her room."

Sierra avoided making her eyebrow-raise too obvious. She and Miko rarely spoke, or even saw each other, so the idea of being "friends" seemed a little extreme.