12. A Little White Lie

The next morning we woke up early and waited for the train to take us to the fence. I was standing with Christina and Tris when the train came around the corner. Tobias had started to run and opened the door to the train car. I was the second one in and pulled Christina in. Tobias called me over to the opposite side of the train car.

"Where did you go after dinner yesterday?" I straightened up. "You told Uriah you were with Tris, but she was in the infirmary" Tobias watched me closely.

"I went to the dorms, I just didn't want to give Uriah the wrong impression if I had hung out with him." I told the truth. Tobias paused and scanned over my face.

"Okay" he leaned against the wall. "You know I could talk to him, tell him to leave you alone"

"Oh yea, that's a great idea." I said sarcastically as I rolled my eyes. "It's bad enough you threatened him." I crossed my arms and leaned against the wall. "No I'll handle it."

"I'm just saying he needs a kick in the ass I'd be more than happy to give it"

"Speaking of kicks you need to stop kicking me under the table."

"Stop giving me reasons to kick you" Tobias clenched his jaw and I walked back to the group.

We reached the gate and spent the day going over the possible positions you could have on the fence. Tris and I even ran into Robert who had chosen Amity. The rest of the time was spent patrolling the fence and then we made our way back to the train. I noticed Tris and Tobias talking before boarding the train. They both had small smiles as they ran toward the train. On the train I watched the glances they gave each other. It was obvious to anyone paying attention. Tris liked Tobias and she definitely made an impression on him. It was an interesting thought of Tobias and Tris together.

We made it back to the Pit and Uriah was standing with a group of dauntless born.

"Theo!" He ran up to me. "Hey we have some time before dinner do you wanna hang out for a bit?" Uriah's smile was contagious and he looked so adorable. I know he would be upset if I had said no again.

"Uh, yea sure" I ran my fingers through my hair that I wore down now. I followed him as we walked deeper into the Pit. He took me to his favorite place for food, and even down a walkway into the chasm where we sat and ate 'corndogs'. I kept our conversation light and friendly.

"So what do you think of Dauntless so far?" Uriah asked with a mouth full of corndog.

"It's interesting"

"That's one way to put it." He nudged me with his elbow. "How is everyone treating you?" there was an implication to his tone.

"Everyone has been good, well with the exception of Peter, but other than that it's good."

"What is it with that guy? He seems like an asshole." Uriah threw the wooden stick into the chasm.

"I don't know maybe mommy issues, shit maybe he has a crush on Abnegation girls" I played with the wooden stick.

"Does he like you?"

"I don't know, but if he does this isn't how to get my attention."

"How would someone get your attention?" He asked curiously. He wanted information, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

"Honestly, nothing right now. All I care about is getting through initiation." I threw my stick into the chasm.

"Oh" Was all he said as he looked at his watch. "We missed dinner, I think this is the first time I've ever-"

"What did you say?!" I grabbed his hand and looked at his watch. Shit. I was late for training. "I have to go" I scrambled to get up and ran toward the training room. I heard Uriah's voice call out for me, but all I cared about is what Eric would do to me. I burst through the door of the isolated training room and it was empty. I jogged over to the office and no one was there. Shit.

"Looking for someone?" Eric strode in behind me. "You're late."

"I know I'm sorry I lost track of the time."

"Busy were you?" He raised an eyebrow. "I hope it was worth it." He walked around the desk and sat down. "We're done. You can leave."

"Done? We haven't even started." Eric looked at me dismissively and realization set in.

"I don't like to waste my time and that's what I was doing while you were on your little date." He started to go through papers and ignore my presence. He said date.

"I wasn't on a date!" I looked at him accusingly. "What are you even talking about?" Uriah. He saw me with Uriah. "You think I was on a date with Uriah?" I crossed my arms. "No that wasn't a date." Eric continued to ignore me. No, I wasn't just going to let this opportunity slip by. I wasn't just going to accept it was over. I ripped the papers from his hand and leaned forward on the desk and he met my gaze. "Okay look, I was late and that's my fault. I would be stupid to let this opportunity go. I don't want to just make it in the rankings. I want to be number 1 and I know with your help I can be. I swear to you this was first and last time I will ever waste your time." We stood in silence for a few moments and then he leaned back in his chair.

"17 minutes. Go run a lap for every minute you were late." He stood up. "When you're done come get me." He remand expressionless and returned to the papers he was looking at. I smiled as I walked out of the office.