6. Bitter Reconciliations

We had been following the railroad tracks for a few hours, none of us speaking to each other. Tobias led the group with Tris, Caleb and Susan behind, leaving me to walk in the back. I could still see the tension in my brother's shoulders and Tris twitching at every noise, just to relax when it turned out to be nothing. Caleb kept looking behind to check on Susan or just to glance at me. I kept my face neutral each time we made eye contact.

Just as Caleb turned back around I heard a low groan from the rails. I bent down and pressed my palm to the metal feeling a light vibration. I looked behind us and could see no lights in the distance, until a glint of light appeared in the distance.

"Theodora?" Caleb questioned. I looked up to see the rest of the group had turned to me.

"There's a train coming" I looked at Susan who looked relieved where Caleb, Tobias and Tris looked concerned.

"I think we should get on" Tris said.

"Even if it's run by Erudite?" Caleb asked.

"If Erudite were running the train, they would have taken it to the Amity compound looking for us," Tobias looked at everyone but me. "I think it's worth the risk. We'll be able to hide in the city. Here we're just waiting for them to find us." he finally looked to me, I assumed he wanted confirmation or agreement. At this point, I was getting on that train whether they had decided to or not. It was clear that our goals weren't the same. Caleb gave Susan step by step instructions for getting on the moving train. "Hey" Tobias said as he motioned to me. "If we're going into the city we need to talk about something." he said quietly and out of earshot. I rolled my eyes and looked to Tris who was watching us.

"Theo this is serious" Tobias caught my gaze I pushed past him as I noticed how close the train was coming. "Theo" I ignored him and readied myself.

As the first car passes, I took off running and I was in the train car with ease. I landed on the floor with a hard thud and quickly stood up as Susan was struggling to maintain speed. I gripped her outstretched hand and pulled her in. Caleb followed after pulling in his sister as her feet dangled off the edge. My brother used the handle and swung himself in, he pulled his gun out when he realized mine were pointed into the darkness.

Slowly figures began to move around and we realized we weren't alone in this train car. They began to emerge as passing light illuminated their faces, but it was easy to tell they were all factionless.

A factionless man with an eye patch pointed a gun and me, while a factionless woman wielding a bread knife kept her eye on Tris.

"I've never seen the Amity armed before," The factionless woman said. Tris kept looking to the man with the eye patch.

"They aren't Amity," the man said. "They're Dauntless." His voice was familiar, I couldn't place him until Tris spoke.

"Hello, Edward" she said.

"Tris" Edward said and then focused on me. "Theo" I said nothing as he had yet to lower his gun.

"Whatever you are, you'll have to get off this train if you want to stay alive." The woman sneered.

"Please," Susan's small plea answered. "We've been running... and the rest of them are dead and I don't" Her words started to turn into sobs. "I don't think I can keep going, I..." I fought the urge to tell her to shut up, I was too focused on Edward. I knew what kind of threat Edward was from initiation. I knew about him and how well he could hold up in a fight just as he knew about me. Where's Myra... I looked around the train car and hadn't seen her.

"We're running from Erudite," Caleb spoke.

"Caleb" I snapped and Edward glanced over to him before returning back to me.