2. Jumping Forward

I will forever remember Marcus's hateful eyes follow me out of the hall. I smiled at his disapproval. I joined my new faction and ran down the street. Beatrice ran with me and the rest of the transfers.

"They're climbing" she said. They started to climb the train posts. We shared a looked and stared to climb, My ribs ached from running and as I stretched to climb the post the pain worsened. I finally reached the top and extended my hand to help Beatrice and then a Candor girl with short hair. The sound of the train had us snap our heads toward the direction. The Dauntless-born cheered and began running down the track.

"It's not going to stop." I tapped Beatrice and started to run with the rest of the group. The train passed and one of the dauntless born had opened the door for everyone to jump in. With every step my ribs screamed, it hurt to breathe, but just a few more steps.

A hand stuck itself out and pulled me in, and then Beatrice. I looked to boy who had pulled me in. The first thing I noticed was how tall he was. He had a bronze complexion, and a bright smile. "Thanks." I said with whatever breath I had.

"No problem, I'm Uriah by the way." His hand extended out once again and having caught my breath I finally realized how handsome he was.

"Theo" I shook his hand feeling my cheeks starting to turn red. Beatrice introduced herself as well.

"Nice to meet you" he said with a toothy grin. "I would catch your breath while you can before this next part." he walked toward the front of the train car and joined a group of dauntless born.

"Did you know?" Beatrice finally asked. "About Caleb." I pulled my knees to my chest and rested my chin on them.

"He told me right before." Beatrice looked upset. She was questioning everything she thought she knew about her brother. "He made his choice just like we did Beatrice." She nodded and turned away from me. Beatrice and I had formally met the Candor transfer as Christina. A half hour later I heard Uriah and his group of friends yell in excitement.

"They're jumping off the train." Christina announced. The three of us looked at each other.

"Together?" Christina spoke and we nodded in agreement. I jumped out of the train to land in gravel. I pushed myself up and small stones embedded themselves into my hands. My hand had started to bleed again and with the other I wrapped my arm around my ribs. We approached the ledge of a building where the leaders were. I stood next to Beatrice and Christina.

"My name is Max" said an older man with a dark complexion. "I'm one of your leaders. If you want to enter Dauntless, this is the way in. And if you don't have the guts to jump, then you don't belong in Dauntless.

"Is there water at the bottom or something?" Someone asked.

"I guess you'll find out. Or not." Max smirked.

"We just jumped. They want us to jump again?" Christina muttered.

"Someone's gotta go first. Who's it gonna be?" Max scanned the group and people avoided his gaze. 

Without saying a word I walked up to the front. Tobias was down there and I had waited long enough to see my brother. I stood up on the ledge and my heart was beating against my chest. I leaned over the edge into a huge hole in the ceiling of another building. My body reacted to the idea of falling and instinctively pulled myself back. I took in a deep breath, closed my eyes and stepped forward. The sound of the air thundered in my ears and I couldn't help but laugh. I was through the hole in the building when a net caught me and recoiled me back into the air. The net was pulled to one side and I rolled to the edge.

I hoisted my self up and was pulled from the net to my feet by the only person I wanted to see. "Nothing" Tobias whispered to me in a harsh tone. I knew what that meant, say nothing, do nothing until safe. He would find me when the time was right. It was a phrase we would use around our father to avoid his discipline. He had grown in these last two years and I'm sure he thought the same of me.

"First Jumper, what's the name Four?" Someone yelled to Tobias. I looked at him puzzled why did they call him Four? He gave me a look that prompted me.

"Theo"

"First Jumper, Theo" as Tobias looked at me I could see the beginning of a smile but the sound of the second jumper broke his gaze and he pulled the net toward him. Beatrice was the second jumper and had changed her name to Tris. It didn't take long for the rest of the initiates to make they're jumps. I talked a bit more to Uriah and introduced me to his friends Marlene and Lynn who were also dauntless-born and knew Tobias. They all called him Four.