First Kisses and First Dates

“Foster, I hope you have some of your old human clothes with you because we have a mission,” Keefe cried, looping his arm around her shoulders.

“Keefe, why are you so excited about this?” Sophie asked, gathering her books. It was Elwin’s day to choose the flavor of their DNA strips and Sophie was not going to deal with that today.

“Because it’s where you used to live,” Keefe said. “Meaning you can tell me all the embarrassing stories from when you were little.

“Great, because that’s just what you need,” Sophie grumbled. “What’s the mission?” Sophie asked.

“There’s a guy that you used to know that’s getting his memories back. We have to go there and make sure that those memories stay buried deep,” Keefe said.

“Who’s the guy?” Sophie asked.

“Garwin Chang?” Keefe said, though it was more of a question, gauging her reaction.

“Why would he be the one remembering me? He hated me,” Sophie said, remembering the boy that used to wear the stupid t-shirts.

“Well, he is, and we need you to wipe his memories again,” Keefe replied, tugging her towards the Leap Master.

“Wait, we’re leaving now?” Sophie asked.

“Yeah,” Keefe said, like it was obvious.

“But, what about classes? What about our pendants?” Sophie fretted, digging her heels in.

“Dex and Forkle are covering for us,” Keefe said, having enough of her worrying.

“Okay, let me go pack a bag,” Sophie sighed, relenting.

“Havenfield,” Keefe called, leaping them to Sophie’s house.

“What happened this time?” Grady asked, meeting them by Verdi’s pen.

“Nothing, we got a mission from the Black Swan,” Sophie explained, giving him a quick hug.

“Oh, I’ll tell Edaline when she gets back. Where are you headed?” Grady asked.

“San Diego,” Sophie said, leaving Keefe to explain the mission to her father.

She grabbed her old backpack from when she was living with the humans and stuffed her things in there, hoping that they were still in trend so they didn’t stick out like sore thumbs.

“Foster, are you almost ready?” Keefe asked, popping his head into her room.

“Yeah, I’m just grabbing some cash,” she said, grabbing the money that she had saved from when she and Dex were in the Forbidden Cities.

“Okay, I’ll be outside if you need me,” Keefe said.

“Wait, Keefe,” Sophie cried, reaching out as if that would stop him from leaving.

“What’s up, Foster?” he asked, stepping into her room this time.

“I just… can you stay with me?” she asked, not sure why she needed him there, just knowing that she did.

“Sure, whatever you need Foster,” Keefe said, sitting on the end of her bed.

Five minutes later they were headed out, Sophie gave Grady a big hug, telling him that she would be careful. Sandor and the rest of her body guards had to stay in the Lost Cities and none of them were happy about it, but Sophie was the only one who could do it.

“I’ll see you soon, besides, I have Keefe with me. What can go wrong?” Sophie asked, more to reassure herself than her father, who scowled.

“I love you kiddo,” Grady said, squeezing her so tightly that it hurt to breathe.