Ditz/ Fex

(This is a ship of Fitz and Dex. I did say that there were going to be ships like this in here right? If not oh well now you know. Tell me what you think about it if you feel comfortable doing so. Also remember that all of these characters belong to Shannon Messenger. Thanks my lovelies!)

"Hey, Dex? Are you free after school?" Fitz asked the strawberry blond, who was so caught up in the mechanism he was working on, that he didn't hear the older boy until Fitz laid a hand on his shoulder, making Dex jump three feet in the air.

"Jeez! Way to give a guy a heart attack!" Dex cried, placing a hand over his heart.

"Sorry," Fitz dragged out the 'y' sound when he saw what was in Dex's hand. "What are you working on?" Fitz asked, examining the tangle of wires and gears in Dex's hand.

"Something for someone," the younger boy replied, making Fitz raise an eyebrow.

"Oh, do you have a crush on someone?" Fitz asked, imitating his sister's voice.

Dex cracked a small grin. That had kind of become their way of connecting to each other, imitating their friends' and families' voices.

"Um . . . yeah, but they'll never like me back, not with my family," Dex said, tearing a hand through his hair.

"Wanna talk about it?" Fitz asked, using his own voice.

"Not really, mostly because I know you share everything with Sophie, and I don't want her worrying about me, that girl has enough on her plate for ten people, I don't want to add to that," Dex said, making Fitz smile.

"We all have enough on our plate for ten people, not just Sophie. How are you handling things?" Fitz asked.

"I'm okay I guess, working with Tinker has given me a reason to avoid the triplets, so my sanity is mostly intact," Dex said, flashing a rare smirk at Fitz. "How are you dealing with your sister flirting with Tam every five minutes?" Dex asked, giving Fitz a knowing look.

"I'm not," Fitz heard the question in his own tone. "I guess with everything that's been going on it's good for her to have the chance at being a somewhat normal teenager. I know Tam would never hurt her, not intentionally anyway," Fitz said, leaning against the wall.

"What about you? Are you having the chance to be a teenager?" Dex asked and Fitz let out a laugh that made Dex frown.

"Ha! I've never been a teenager, I went from the baby of the family to Wonderboy within a year. Between being a Telepath and a member of the Black Swan, my teenage years were never there," Fitz said, he could hear the bitterness lacing his tone.

"That I get, but that shouldn't stop you from doing something fun once in a while," Dex said, laying a hand on Fitz's arm, surprising them both.

When Dex realized what he'd done he pulled back hastily, his cheeks a little pinker than they had been before.

Fitz was pretty much as red as Sophie got, and that was incredibly red.

"Anyway, what were you asking me before you tried stopping my heart?" Dex asked, flashing that smirk at Fitz again, which made his own heart start to beat a little faster.

"I was wondering if you were free after school," Fitz said.

"Yeah, what'd you need fixed?" Dex asked, playing with some of the wires again.

"Oh, nothing." Fitz frowned. It bothered him that Dex thought he only wanted to have him over because something broke, that Dex was so used to it that he couldn't think of another reason. "I just wanted to hang out with you. Biana has Tam over every night and I thought it would be fun to play some base quest or something," Fitz said, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck.

"Oh," Dex said, his eyebrows furrowing. "Um sure, that'll be fun, I guess." He didn't sound so sure.

"You don't have to, I just thought you might like to spend some time with your friends," Fitz said, realizing that Dex probably didn't like sports very much.

"No I'd love to! It's just . . . no one's ever asked me before," he said.

"Really?" Fitz asked, feeling guilty about not realizing what a great guy Dex was before Sophie showed up.

"My parents are a bad match, I have triplets as siblings, and my family runs an apocrathy, I'm not most people's idea of a person they want to be friends with. Besides," Dex added. "I'm better with machines and things like that than I am people." There was that smile again, making Fitz's heart feel like it had just been chased by a gorgadon.

"Well, I'm happy to be the first. You can just come over after school of you want," Fitz said, trying to sound off-handed.

"Sure, I wouldn't want you to have to deal with Tam and Biana by yourself," Dex said, grinning at Fitz, who gave him a lopsided smile.

"I'll see you during lunch then?" Fitz asked, pushing off the wall of the atrium.

"Definitely." Dex paused then smiled. "As long as Keefe doesn't get me landed in detention first."

Fitz laughed, then headed down the hall towards his first class.

(Thoughts? Please comment and vote, I don't want to write anything you guys are going to hate. Anyway, sorry for all the mistakes, I was writing it on my phone today. I will go back and edit it, promise. See you next time my lovelies!)