Ditz/Fex Pt. 2

Fitz was sure he was wearing a hole in his tunic from nervousness by the time Dex finally sprinted over to the Leapmaster.

"Sorry I'm late, I had to make sure the triplets got home okay," Dex said, hands on his knees as he panted.

"It's alright, Biana and Tam still haven't shown up," Fitz replied, awkwardly rubbing Dex's back.

"So I just ran across the school for nothing?" Dex proclaimed, his anger over taking his breathlessness for a moment.

"Yeah, pretty much," Fitz said and Dex groaned.

"That's okay, I need to get more physical exercise than I have been," Dex admitted, straightening again.

Fitz didn't doubt that, Dex practically lived with Tinker and they usually just worked on gadgets.

"Hey Dex, are you coming over?" Biana asked, flashing into existence.

Dex squeaked, he was still creeped out when she did that, Fitz could tell. Tam was beside her, glancing at Dex with wary eyes. Dex and Tam were friends, but they weren't close like Dex and Sophie.

"Now we can play base quest," Fitz said, as if that explained everything.

Biana gave her brother a look that told him she knew what he was doing.

He glared at her, telling her not to say anything.

"The more the merrier, isn't that what Mom always says?" Biana asked. "Let's go," she said. "Everglen."

They all stepped into the light, and landed at Everglen.

"I always forget how bright the house is," Tam muttered, shielding his eyes.

"Me too dude, it's not just you," Dex said, squinting against the light.

After they'd decided teams- Biana refused to play with anyone but Tam- and they'd picked their respective bases, Fitz grabbed Dex's hand, running towards their base, one of the Pures hidden by the lake.

"C'mon, Dex and I are guarding first!" Fitz exclaimed, laughing as his sister cried out in protest, but they were already gone. After Biana had found out about her ability to vanish they had instituted a rule that you had to wait thirty seconds before you went after the other team.

"Isn't this the long way?" Dex asked.

"No, it's actually a shortcut I found when I played with Sophie, the time she found out she could teleport," Fitz said, squeezing Dex's hand.

They played for a while, four rounds to be exact, and then everyone was so tired, and hungry, that they headed for the house.

"When do you have to be home?" Fitz asked Dex, who was stifling a yawn.

"Not for a while, they're used to me staying late at Tinker's place," he said, stumbling over a random pebble that shifted under his foot.

He yelped as he tumbled forwards.

Fitz reached out and grabbed Dex's arms, keeping him from falling.

"Are you okay? You aren't hurt, are you?" Fitz asked, checking Dex for injuries even though he hadn't actually hit the ground.

"Yeah I'm fine, I just tripped," Dex said, accepting Fitz's help.

"Hey, are you guys coming or what?" Biana called.

"Yeah, we're coming. Are you staying for dinner?" Fitz asked Dex, who paused.

"I don't want to impose," he mumbled.

"You won't, I'm asking you to stay," Fitz said, staying a step closer to Dex than was necessary . . . in case of anymore accidents.

                       (Time Skip)