ELEVATOR IMPATIENCE

~You can't always choose
what happens to you,
but you can always choose how you feel about it.
-Daniel Laporte

I stepped inside the elevator and was met with some employees who looked at me distasteful. I ignored their stares and waited to reach the top floor. As a person got off the elevator, I was growing impatient and my palms were sweating uncontrollably at that moment.

"Ding." The elevator opened, and I looked around to see that the lift man and I were the only people left in the elevator. He looked at me confused and so did I. I knew this wasn't the last floor because there were fifty-two floors, and we were on fifty-one.

"Mam, this is where you get off," He said with a bored expression. I gritted my teeth, turning to face him. The key card hung around his neck, possibly to give access to the last floor. "Take me to the last floor, that's my stop." He shook his head and stared at me, testing if I was playing, but I had enough for the day, so I grabbed the key card and swiped it and watched him stand there watching me. I could see the fear in his eyes, but I didn't care.

Anxiety began to build in me. It was taking longer than usual. It was just one floor up, but it felt like hours. I began to fear the worst. The elevator stopped. It was the last floor. I stepped out looking around. It was nice to see people busy at work, not even acknowledging that someone unfamiliar had stepped on their floor.

I walked over to the desk that stood at the end. I took a deep breath before talking to the brunette. "Is Vincent in?" The place became utterly silent, and I swallowed the lump that was forming in my throat.

"Yes, he's in but is having a meeting at the moment." She kept her eyes on the computer without glancing up at me.

"And where is this meeting he's having now?" The brunette looked up at me as if she'd been dealing with this kind of situation for too long now. "Do you have an appointment?"

If I don't lie then, I won't be able to meet him. If I do, she'll probably see through it. I'm terrible at telling lies, so I did what came into my mind. I barged into his office with her yelling behind me. His office was all black, and I mean all black with a touch of gray. They say the color that you like defines you, and it was pretty much clear about him. He was dark. The only colored object in his office was a pen that was blue.

Nobody had noticed my presence, but I had to make it known. With the clearing of my throat, all heads snapped to me. And I could see the evil smirk that was plastered on that bastard's face.

"You!" I pointed, making my way over to his desk, ignoring the looks that I was getting from the other men. All the anger that I had moments ago resurfaced. "What the hell did you do? Are you freaking crazy?" I yelled at him, causing all attention to be now on me.

"Love, what do you mean?" The once cold expression that he had was gone. He slouched back in his chair, folding his lips into a thin line.

"What the hell are you all looking at? Get out!" I snapped they were taking back at my sudden outburst and looked at Mr. Johnson for approval. He raised an eyebrow at them before all the men stormed out of his office.

"Sir-" the brunette came in. I could hear the fear in her voice as she choked out the sentence that Vincent wouldn't let her finish.

"Out Chauncey and lock the door behind you," she frowned like he didn't get her name right. I'd snap if he didn't, but why would I care? She nodded, and the clicking of the door signaled that she was gone and his face was once again dark and emotionless.

"What is it, Little Laura decided to give me what I want?" he spoke as if I'd just run into his arms and apologized for his stupid doings. I won't do that and the way he spoke about me, like I was just an object. I'm going to slap his face.

"You're a piece of shit. You know why would you do that?" He closed his eyes and, after a moment, he spoke up. "I gave your parents two million dollars for you, and I'm not going to just give it all away without taking what's mine." So, they wanted money and sold me to this bastard despite my disappearance. How inconsiderate.

"I don't belong to you or nobody I'm not an object to get thrown around and played with then get thrown to the side. I'm my own person my parents don't decide what goes on in my. Life so don't tell me that I'm yours because I never gave any saying to say that I am yours." he chuckled once again shutting his eyes pushing himself up with both hands on the glass table looking at me." Believing everything that you see in the paper nor or you might be listening to that friend of yours what's her name again" he rests his thumb on his chin as he's thinking of something.

"Ah, Tina isn't that her name blonde hair and sad green eyes got played by her sister and ex-fiance." he smirked clenching my teeth I could hear the blood pumping in my vines as the mention of her name concern took over me.

"Now, now you don't want anything to happen to her. She's a bit heartbroken at the moment and losing her job and being kicked out of her apartment will make her think that she's a bit useless, so if I were you, I'd go home and get packing." He gave me a look up and down.

"You'll pay for all of this and that is by losing someone. Why do you want to hurt someone you love? You are an asshole. " My face twisted, crinkling with anger and rage as I stated the words.

With a straight face, he held my face captive, and I felt the color drained from my face. "Is that a threat? Are you planning to kill one of my family members? " He was now standing in front of me, his icy breath stabbing my cheeks. He demanded an answer. His voice came out rough, his eyes turned a darker shade of blue, which had me taking a step back. He was clenching and unclenching his jaw, a sign of impatience.

"I'm not planning to kill anybody because I'm not you," I spat at him with utter disgust. "But this world will rob you of whom you love. Your money and power will not fill that empty heart of yours. I hate you." The tears spilled as he watched me with his emotionless expression.

I took my opportunity and stomped on his foot. "You're a fucking idiot to ever think I'm living with an arrogant fool like yourself," he groaned in agony. "Trust me to love you, you're even more stupid than I thought," I flared my nostrils and stomped on the same foot, and he groaned to my satisfaction.

"Get this through your thick skull." Mr. Arrogant. I'm worth more than your two million get that". I stomped on his other foot, earning him to groan again. That brought pleasure to my ears.

"Believe me, Little Laura, you're not even worth a dime. Get out!" I slapped him hard against his cheek without taking a glance at his faultless face and stormed out with tears in my eyes. How dare he belittle me like that?

I couldn't let this happen, but what choice do I have? It all depends on Tina's happiness. She's heartbroken, and I can't be selfish and think about how it's going to affect me because Vincent could end anybody's life in a split-second.

The brunette looked at me in pure disgust. I knew she and her boss had something going on that left me wanting to vomit.

What a whore.

"Laura, don't take too long," Vincent said from behind me, causing everyone to look in his direction. I was about to curse when I found his eyes were fixed upon me. I balled my fists together, closing my eyes, taking deep breaths, controlling myself from creating a scene in front of all these people.

"It won't take long baby." The look on everyone else's face and his was priceless while rows of faces looked at him and I couldn't help but grin. Mr. Johnson was known as a man who never had a girlfriend or one-night stand and it was pretty obvious when I said, baby. I fought a battle I knew I couldn't win, but I'm going to make his life miserable.

"Get back to work all of you," he roared, slamming his door.