Ch. 5 - They're Coming

I am alone now, and fear has begun to seep into me. The brave face I've put on for Delia and Claire was all a charade, and I am impatient for them to make their way back to me and tell me what they have found. I cannot let them down. My heart is beating hard in my chest, and I can see the fog being exhaled from my lips. It is at this point that I notice just how cold it is. It has to have dropped to 15 degrees. I look up at the sky and see dark nimbus clouds. I have a sinking feeling that the weather is only going to get worse.

My body is on high alert, and I look for anywhere that may be a good hiding place. I am not having much luck, which I'm sure is why they chose this godforsaken place. There are a few hollows in trees that I could stick both of the girls in, but that won't do. However, they may not have much choice in the matter. This is the best we can do with so little time. The only option for me that I can find is a burrow under a large tree, beneath its leaves to mask my scent.

I have about 200 steps left when I see a river of some sort right next to the end of the wall. It's hard to see with such low visibility. I whistle, waiting to hear back from Delia and Claire. I hear Delia. I wait a few moments and hear Claire too. I look at my watch. I hear movement to my left and see a nameless girl running frantically, looking for a place to hide as well.

I lock eyes with her while pointing to my watch. "You have twenty minutes left."

She thanks me and keeps running in the opposite direction.

"Good luck," I whisper, as she disappears into the array of trees.

I walk over to the river and see that it has frozen over for the most part, except for the shallows. It won't be an option for escape as we will freeze to death. I remember what Delia's mother had told her and quickly put my hands in the water, rinsing my underarms and groin. It's so cold my skin burns as the water makes contact with my body. I wipe my brow too. If the others have time, I will have them do the same.

However, we are quickly running out of it.

I look at my wrist and whistle ten times, signaling them to come to me. Less than 5 minutes later, Delia and Claire come into view.

"Anything?" I ask.

They respond together in unison. "No."

I rake my hands through my hair, frustrated. This was not unexpected. We will be easy pickings for them. Lucky for Delia and Claire, I have a plan. A lousy plan, but it's better than none.

"Come with me," I say.

I start to lead them to the trees I saw earlier. It was the best I could do. I momentarily get distracted when I feel a single snowflake fall on my eyelash. I look up to see it has begun to snow.

I snap back to reality. "You're going to have to hide in the hollows of trees," I tell them.

Claire cuts me off, "Together?"

I pause. "No, but you two will be close by one another."

She begins to panic when Delia steps in for me and grabs her hand. They continue to walk, following me to their hiding spot in the hollows. She understands we won't have much time left.

Thank you, Delia.

We are quickly losing control of the situation and we need to act now. We walk past the tree I will be hiding under, and I point it out to them just in case.

They will be 300 to 400 feet away. I tell them to whistle if anything happens, and I will come running for them if I can. It's getting dark, and visibility at this point is almost nonexistent. I'm sure that's intentional. We're blind and will be running around like chickens with our heads cut off.

I show Delia and Claire their trees, which are 150 paces away from one another. Delia will go into the first one, and I quickly fill in the open spaces with leaves and tell her I will be back. I do the same with Claire, who holds back tears when the second gun goes off. I freeze for a second, close my eyes, and deeply inhale.

I count to three. "None of that now. It will be okay."

It probably won't be. I have a bad feeling about this entire situation and I had since the moment I stepped into that van.

And with that, I quickly make my way to my hiding spot. I duck down under the tree and burrowed under the leaves as I hear growls and screams in the distance. Panic fills my body. Whatever this is, it has started. I thought Matron said they wouldn't harm us?

How stupid could I be?

More screams echo throughout the forest. I close my eyes tightly as I run through all of the scenarios in my head that can prepare me. What will happen next? The only thing that I know for sure was that they're coming.