Ch. 39 - Up in the Air

We were climbing into the air fast. I felt myself falling to the back of the airplane but a strong hand bit into my upper arm and pain resonated throughout my shoulder. Silas slung me into one of the seats and clicked the seatbelt into place before he put his own on.

Pain. Fuck. So much pain. I immediately knew what it was. Partial dislocation. Subluxation. I had to do this quickly. It had happened before, so I knew exactly what it was. I rolled my shoulder back and a loud crunching pop met our ears stifling a scream. I held my shoulder in place and rolled my head back hitting the cushion of the chair and stared at the wall. It probably would have hurt worse if I wasn't still so numb. Silas looked like he wanted to say something, but honestly, the guy looked like he was fighting off going into shock with his pale, and ashen skin. We sat there in silence for a while except for the occasional sniffle and wipe of our eyes.

After a while, I was able to think. I was able to think about my time in the forest with my sister and what she had said.

"You'll be moving locations soon. We need you there because if we play our cards right you'll be the highest-ranking human in their government. That's all I've been authorized to say."

She knew. She knew this would happen. And Claire knew. This plan had been in play for a while. Claire played her part well. I knew there was something different about her, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now she was dead, and she had taken Delia with her and so many more. I wondered if she knew that Delia would die with her. That's the only reason why I'd be the highest-ranking "human" in their government. Alpha Gaius was dead and now a new Alpha would be chosen.

I had helped build that fucking fire pit and Delia had helped with the decorations around the podium and where the crowd was going to be. It was the perfect opportunity to plant bombs where they needed to be to cause so much carnage. My sister was there the night before too. I'm sure she had something to do with this. Was she there during the execution? Did she wait until I was off the podium to make the bombs go off? And the entire thing had been televised. Fuck.

They all knew and they didn't tell me. I understood why, but still, it felt like a betrayal.

This whole time I thought I had been the strong one. But it had been Claire. She was the strong one at only eighteen years old- brave, sweet girl. Now I knew why she had cried so much at the beginning. There was only one way out of this. The chanting of the wolves echoed in my ears again.

"We will conquer or we will die!"

That's the ultimatum they lived by as the war had gone on and on. They didn't want peace. Those in control at least. And from what I heard in the crowd neither did their people. What does one do with that?

"Where are we going?" I asked Silas.

"We are going to our military stronghold in Wyoming where the government will confirm me as the next Head Alpha. There might be some debate, but our laws are unmoving about succession."

"How do I...?" I started but was cut off.

"I'm responsible for you with Lucas dead, and I need a mate now that... Delia and our baby ...." He took a deep breath and hit his head on the wall pursing his lips.

"Give me another few minutes to fuckin grieve and I'll get back to you, okay?"

I held my elbow and looked for the bathroom. I needed to pee, and badly. Silas pointed to the back of the plane, and I got up passing the luxurious seats, and opened the door to the toilet, and sat down. I did my business but sat there for longer than necessary just sitting with myself.

I'd be his mate. This is why they killed Delia and Lucas. My people killed Delia. They knew she was pregnant too. At least Claire had.

Oh. My. God.