11| Ketchup ✓

AADHYA

I smile pressing the calling bell. I like Rehan. He is so good and gives me positive vibes, making me feel fresh, something that I really need. He is also straightforward except when asking for my number.

Nita Bhabhi opens the door for me and she grabs my hand and pulls me in.

"Arjun is here." She whispers.

Thank God Bhai is home. But her expression worries me.

"Isn't that good?" I whisper back.

"He talked to Dad. Dadi interrupted and it became a big, loud conversation. He's very angry."

"At me?"

"No—" Bhabhi shakes her head. "At Dad and Dadi. He was about to go and bring Anjana. Jhanvi and I stopped him."

I nod not knowing how to respond. My father is not talking to me and Dadi is taunting my mother every chance she gets, especially in front of my father.

I go to my room and change into a t-shirt and shorts. I take A Thousand Splendid Suns from my small stand on the wall. I need to cry. I switch my phone to silent and sit by the window and start reading.

A loud knock interrupts me after an hour of peaceful reading. I shut the book and opens the door. Arjun Bhai stands outside and he looks at me with worry all over his face.

"Hey," I say and I throw my arms around his neck. He lifts me off the ground to hug me back.

"How are you?" He asks once he set me down.

"I'm good. I missed you." I really did miss him.

"I know. I talked with Dad and he has agreed to drop your marriage topic."

I smile and I feel tears making their way. I really don't want to get married and like always my brother is my saviour.

"Thank you so much," I say hugging him again. I feel him shake as he tries not to show me his happiness seeing me happy.

"I'm sorry that I wasn't here. I won't let any injustice happen to you. Take rest." He tells me after kissing my cheek. He turns around and walks out of my room.

I grin closing my door. I can't control my happiness and I walk around my room in a circle trying to plan my future. I don't have to get married!

I need to complete my studies. Get a job. Travel. Eat a lot of food. Then do my masters. Then get a job. Save money and travel.

In between dating a boy, doesn't seem to be a bad idea. I chuckle taking my phone to text Rehan. I pause and look down at my phone.

I met Rehan in the first place because he wants to get married. If I tell him, I don't intend to get married will he still go on a date with me? I like him and, sadly, we might not be in the same boat.

I'll have to talk to him tomorrow. I send him the address of a restaurant and he replies in agreement. We fix the afternoon for a lunch date.

I didn't get much sleep at night. I twist and turn in bed wondering what Rehan would say.

I turn the alarm off before it rings and runs to the bathroom to take a shower. I spend my morning with my mother. She's happy with what I shared. It seems like Dad hasn't told anyone about his conversation. I hope he will soon.

I grab a pair of jeans and a top for lunch. I apply minimal makeup and wear my watch and bracelet. I take my phone and put my card and money between the phone case. I don't want to carry a purse.

I go downstairs and my Dadi blesses me with her presence. She looks at me from head to toe and goes to the kitchen.

I frown and walk to the door. Before I open it, I hear Mom's voice.