19: Fog

19: Fog

Teagan's body wakes up first.

The first sensation she can feel is dry pain. As if her entire insides are inflamed and there isn't a drop of water in her. She'd scream if her thoat wasn't as dry as the desert.

"She's  awake."

"Hold on dears - let me fix her discomfort."

Teagan gasps as a sudden rush of liquid goes though her and her eyes flutter open. The clear air is blurry as the sun shines into the large room she's inside of.

The infirmary.

She turns her head and sees Lila and Chrys holding each other's hands in suspense.

A cool hand brushes her red curls away and she doesn't recognize the voice.

"I'll be on my way now. She's suffering aura dehydration - but I'm sure she'll be fine considering."

"Thank you Agnes.."

Teagan  hears footsteps walk out of the room. She still can't think of words to say. It's as if her mind has numbed that function out of her.

"Teagan? Teagan  you remember us right?" Lila says,slowly crouching at Teagan's bed side now.

Teagan swallows-  expecting pain, but it doesn't hurt as bad as the expectation. 'I - do." Her brain slowly comes out of the fog its in. "I do." She repeats more firmly.

Her eyes clear now and Lila sighs in relief. "Oh, thank stars - I thought - I thought we'd been too late."

Teagan remembers now. She remembers the mage - his face - his hands - the cold lifeless eyes and his words - 

"Wait for me."

She shudders.

Wait for him? Wait for what? What did that mean? She - she can't think about it... it's  hurting her.

"Breathe dear. Breathe - air is your ally not your enemy."

Teagan swallows down air as Headmistress instructs her. Then she relizes, with a guilty spike  that Headmistress was here - she  had saved her, was helping her- 

"Here." Lila tucks an arm under Teagan and helps lift her up. "Drink this." She says and bring a glass of something suspiciously green to her lips. Teagan drinks it anyway. It doesn't tast nearly as grotesque as it looks.

But after that dragon drool - nothing will ever be as nasty as that.

"Chrys made it - she says it helps her refreash her aura and - things. I didn't understand the rest." Lila admits truthfully.

Chrys smiles at her completely not offended and takes Teagan's hand earnestly. "I hope you accomplished what you needed to Teagan - you almost died a couple time this week." She says slowly.

Teagan looks at her confused. "What?"

"You've been unconscious for a week Tea - and - and we almot lost you so many times." Lila explains, her eyes get misty as she does.

Teagan swallows down some more of the drink. "I - I don't know what happened."

Headmistress stands now, her white robes glint under the bright morning sun, Teagan thinks she looks almost like an angel or some such thing.

"Ladies, I belive Ms. Monicroff needs some real rest now. Recuperating is only half done. Go and tell that lovely Mr.. Westing that she is, in fact, not dead and he doesn't have to starve himself with worry anymore. Oh - and tell him to return all those books he took from the library, Mrs. Kringle is getting ansty about them."