14: Concoct

14: Concoct

Run little Mage. But you can't hide. I'll find you... Or else you'll come to me.

You always come to me.

And I await your arrival.

Teagan's numb and she can't move as the bodiless voice haunts her, echoes around in the freezing cold darkness.

She hears the bone shuddering laugh and then as if something smashed to pieces Teagan haS the strange  feeling that it was her mind that shattered.

She wakes up with a hacking cough and gasp. Lila rolls over in her bed and Teagan feels the throbbing in her head continue.

As if something really did break.

She burrows herself under her covers and shudders all night despite it being warm.

----

Teagan squints at the book as Chrys and Lila and Thad sit around with their study books scattered around them. The common room was quiet today, the sun was warm through the window as it settles on the four mages in training. Teagan knows the quiet only prevails because of the exams in a few days.

It's also a good time to think. Last nights dream had been choppy... But she actually remembers some of it this time. She just wishes she understood what it meant.

All she knows is that he expects her to find him.

She knows she shouldn't. But she wants to. Perhaps he thinks when she does he'll get what he wants.

Teagan think he's underestimating her. She hope he  is. Because she's wants to find him and destroy him, just like he's been destroying her.

"You know, it might help if you read the book right side up." Chrys says next to her ear.

Teagan startles and drops the heavy potion book in her lap. Lila and Thad look up at her now, both have their brows furrowed in question.

Chrys smiles at Teagan as she lift the book up smoothly.

"I was just, I wasn't-" She has no excuse as Thad and Lila realize what Teagan was trying to read.

"You can't be serious ." Thad saysunder his breath.

Lila sighs and rubs at her forehead in exasperation.

Teagan swallows her guilt, they really hadn't wanted her to read that book. They hoped she wouldn't t go looking for trouble.

Teagan sighs too and looks at Chrys who's holding the book, not realizing what trouble she's just caused.

"It's quite an easy list. A bit blurry from age but -" Chrys smiles, "I can help you decipher it if you want, Teagan." She says kindly.

Thad reaches for the book and takes it out of Chrys hands. "I'd rather you didn't." He says flatly, the look he fixes at Teagan is almost parent worthy.

Teagan shakes her head and reaches for the book again, Thad holds it out of her reach and she throws him an incredulous look. 

"I need to read it Thad, it could have what I'm looking for." She says and stands up at the same time he does and jumps for the book.

She could use a spell... But she's afraid it would get out of hand.

"No. I think you should focus on studying. Not finding this golden dragon and possibly getting yourself killed." He says seemly and swiches the book to his other hand when she tugs at his arm.