4: Gracers

Winter solstice, second half. Year of the dragon.

The Naturals appear to be more and more uneasy every time one of our own walks among them. There has been talk of the more brutal tribes capturing Magics from the other end of the land. Burning's have occurred. These are all rumors that seem to have made themselves fact in our realm now as well.

Nobody of us has seen these atrocities take place with their own eyes, but the tension and suspicion is thickening in the air. His majesty worries for our future, war looks to be closer than we thought, but the outcome looks more and more blurred and uncertain.

If this war, dear lord we beg it doesn't happen, but if this war should come to pass sooner than we've planed, we'd assumed we would always have the upper hand.

Malcolm believes we do. He's powerful in his own right as a sacred Scarrow, but he fails to realize that not everyone is as lucky or as strong as he and I.

I can only hope our side sees fit to reason should the worst fears come to pass.

Harden has started another fight with the palace guard. I must tend to it.

Magnus Monicroff

'

'

'

Teagan's interest in her journal almost made her forget about her appointment with Thad.

"Aren't you going to head out yet Teagan?" Lila says as she brushes her hair to silk finery.

Teagan jolts out of her entranced reading and nods, realizes what time it is, and hops off the bed, adjusting her shirt over her long riding pants.

After all, it wouldn't do to ride a horse in a skirt.

She plans on showing Scarrow just what she's made of, forget the Monicroff name.

"I'll see you after Breakfast, Lila!" Teagan calls as she rushes out and down the hall not waiting for an answer in return.

Teagan's outside in the main court yard in a few moments, the sun's rays are just peeking out from behind the bell tower and the air is crisp, early morning dew drips on the grass blades and on the trees leaves. Birds chirp and Teagan enjoys the soft glow of the almost blue sky above her.

She wonders how people centuries ago lived without the sky during war times. She wonders what Magnus did in those times, what he would have thought about this time now.

They were so much better off now. His story seems so much more important. Teagan feels that whatever she writes will never compare to this. . . Or any of the other entries in the book.

"Ready, Teagan?" Chrysanthemum's voice startles the red headed Mage in training.

"What are you doing here?" Teagan asks as she makes her way towards the thin girl. She seems to be floating with almost a soft glow about her in the early morning sun. Almost fairy like.

"Oh, well, I remembered I could ride a flying horse. Did it all the time with my Pa, before his soul was sucked out and he was killed brutally in an alleyway by a rouge Mage for his money." Chrys says easily as she leads Teagan towards the stables.

Teagan stops. "Oh I - I'm sorry I -"

"Why? You didn't kill him. Anyway the man who did was put down awful quick. Too bad though, I would have liked to see his face before they sentenced him to death. Might have made my faceless nightmares more bearable." Chrys voice remains calm and gentle as the breeze as she speaks and smiles good naturally at Teagan.