5: Accidental success

Winter Solstice Third Quarter Year of the Dragon

A most saddening thing has happened today. A young mage child has been burned in our Provence. The king grows more and more uncertain of what should be done. Scarrow calls for punishment - I disagree. He believes we should frighten the Naturals into order. I see the fear in his eyes for his own children. I understand his fear and need for control. I, however, do not condone the method he wishes to use. The king requests that I meet with the Elder of our north Provence, perhaps he has a way to ease this fear that's gripped out hearts.

I will make the journey tomorrow in haste. Scarrow has been assigned to watch over the court while I'm away.

I worry that he'll forget his honor.

I must go and comfort the little lost mage's family in their mourning.

Harden has been missing since the incident took place. I should find him as well.

Magnus Monicroff

'

'

'

'

Teagan groans into a pillow, her stomach flipping at the dizziness that plagues her still, it's dwindling, like her dignity, but still there, niggling at the back of her mind.

"You know – yesterday could have been more embarrassing." Lila tries to comfort her, it's not helping.

Teagan rolls over and stretches her sore limbs out over the edges of her bed, her eyes shadowed in misery.

"You're not the one who'll have to clean toilets for a week - I shouldn't have added that part." Teagan groans again.

Lila shrugs, pushing her hair behind her ear. "I thought the losing your pride thing would bother you more."

It does - Teagan shudders at the sheer ghost of a thought of the embarrassment she'd have to experience when she admits to everyone the exact thing she'd never believe in.

That Arluoleon Scarrow is better than her.

She shudders again.

Lila pats her back kindly. "At least you tried?" She says uncertainty

Teagan gives her a dry look and falls back on her pillow with a dramatic groan and a thump.

This was going to be so humiliating.

~

'

'

'

'

Teagan refuses to eat anything for the entire day. She's on pins and needles for the try out list to come out. Gripes seems rather cheerful today, despite her near death experience when she was in his charge.

"You know - you might actually have a chance Teagan." Thad says as he walks with Teagan to their Charms and Curses class.

Teagan snorts, "Oh yes - because nearly crashing into the grass is a sure fire way to win." Her sarcasm is greeted with an equally sarcastic grin.

"You didn't crash though - whatever happened, you seemed to have a pretty good hand controlling Lyra - either that or the horse connected with you a lot deeper than we thought." Thad looks at Teagan curiously for a moment. "Come to think of it - your accident should have been a lot worse."

"Why thank you Thaddeus, because that's what I want to hear at this dreadful moment." Teagan sighs as they enter their class. Ms. Shank's gives her the usual apprehensive smile that tries to hide her concern over herself and her job.